2017 MacBook Pro or 2018 MacBook Air? - Page 4 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


View Poll Results: What to get?
2017 MacBook Pro 6 85.71%
2018 MacBook Air 1 14.29%
Live with the 2009 iMac for now 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 02:24 PM   #31
Honourable Citizen
 
polywog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orleans, On
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
Funny how we thought Apple was limited in the past with only being able to upgrade the RAM and Hard drive compared to everything you can do on a PC. Guess Apple really does "Think Different"
I feel that you can just scratch the Think off of that slogan the days

Granted, the whole reason for the non upgradeable drives and ram is so they can make everything slimmer than paper. If they gave that venture up, and made Pro lines MacBook Pros, with end user replaceable parts everyone would be happy. I think the Mac Pro was spot on; targeted at Pros. They need to keep that up.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #32
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BReligion View Post
Apple needs to just start selling all devices with maxed out RAM..
Listen, this is what the board will handle ergo this is the ram you get, and it costs this much (at a better price then only top end). End of story, end of argument about replaceable or self upgradeable


BReligion
might kill a bunch of Mac Pro sales if they only sell a maxed out $65,000 computer.

Apple needs to start offering choice for the consumer. They have weird limitations that make getting something usable for more then email and web browsing cost a fortune. They were always expensive but you would get better specs and the ability to upgrade as you want. Apple is patting themselves on the back for changing the world while selling a product that most of the world cannot afford.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #33
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hammer
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
might kill a bunch of Mac Pro sales if they only sell a maxed out $65,000 computer.
I just meant more for the non upgradable sodded on chips on the boards... and not charge the MAX amount creating the drastic price point but a single price point in the middle somewhere and just establish this is the price similar to how the Processor on some models is what it is.

BReligion
__________________
"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned for Sega. " - Brodie Bruce :: Mallrats ::
BReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 08:08 AM   #34
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BReligion View Post
I just meant more for the non upgradable sodded on chips on the boards... and not charge the MAX amount creating the drastic price point but a single price point in the middle somewhere and just establish this is the price similar to how the Processor on some models is what it is.

BReligion
I would rather have options for a cheaper computer and the ability to give it a longer life by upgrading RAM and the hard drive.

At work I have a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, I think it was the first model to come with an Apple SSD/flash drive. It runs one of our printers now doing just one task. Not under AppleCare anymore. What if for some reason the SSD/flash drive fails, I am stuck with a pretty hefty price tag to simple fix this because the drive cannot be replaced, the whole logic board has to be replaced. Previous models you just swap the hard drive, takes a few minutes and you are done.

Apple used to have a variety of machines at various price points that could be upgrade easily yourself making them an even better value as it extended the life.

Manufacturers are making laptops thinner then Apple's, and using normal SSD drives, RAM and even have a bunch of ports (USB 3, USB C, HDMI, Power, SD). Apple is now milking furiously the rabid enthusiast for every dollar from everywhere they can.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 08:50 AM   #35
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hammer
Posts: 799
I think my point may have been missed.. about RAM and ONLY RAM the big bitching argument people seem to have about ram is that it's no longer upgradeable.. any why would you pay apples crazy price of double it when in a year you used to do it for half of that doubled price... My thought was the board can handle double, so ONLY SELL it maxed out a the price you would pay in that year and a half from said upgrade and just be done with it.. That eliminates the bitching of "it's not user upgradeable".. no it's not. the board is maxed out.. end of story. Yes its a bigger up front cost, but one that people seem to think is something the masses are going to want to do eventually anyways... and when discovering there is NO upgrade path to add more ram (you need to buy a new device) all of the lamenting over upgrade costs would be gone.

Hard drives.. that's another story. That's just purely asinine that they aren't swappable.

And for repair purposes, in nearly 20 years in the tech industry I have had 2 servers have ram chips go bad, one have a ram slot on the board go mysteriously. I need more fingers and toes to count the number of Hard Drives crap out (including on Christmas Day.. bah humbug) lol

Also.. don't get me wrong, I am FAR from an Apple Fanboy.. I was rocking my 2007 iMac until 2015 when I upgraded to a used 2012 MacMini from Kijiji. They are going to do what they want, they have the R&D and marketing experts to know how to keep people buying.. in my utopian view. give the most possible for the best price and just have people stop complaining.

BReligion
__________________
"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned for Sega. " - Brodie Bruce :: Mallrats ::
BReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:51 AM   #36
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,372
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
... I have a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, I think it was the first model to come with an Apple SSD/flash drive.....if for some reason the SSD/flash drive fails, I am stuck with a pretty hefty price tag to simple fix this because the drive cannot be replaced, the whole logic board has to be replaced.
Actually, you can swap in new SSD/flash module in that machine....

How do you upgrade or replace the storage in the 15-Inch Retina Display MacBook Pro models?
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 01:10 PM   #37
Honourable Citizen
 
dona83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 6,500
I do remember a time when Apple’s upgrade prices for user upgradable memory was more than double street value of memory, but when the first of the non upgradable models came out, there was a reasonable 25-50% markup at most. Seems they’ve gone back to their old way of pricing.

Looking into the 27” iMac maxed out to 128 GB, it seems wonderful as a home rig. I prefer desktops by far but the problem is I don’t have a separate home office in my tiny current home.
__________________
2017 MacBook Air, 2009 iMac 21.5", iPhone XR 128GB Black, iPad Pro 10.5" 256GB Wifi+LTE
dona83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 02:04 PM   #38
Honourable Citizen
 
robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Guelph, ON, CA
Posts: 1,040
I switched to a 27" imac and was really surprised how great it is.

I don't really need a laptop but have a 2011 MBP for those times I need it.

Thanks to this thread, I will look into more ram and a SSD to hopefully breath new life into it and make it last a bit longer. :-)

I don't like the direction Apple is taking with their laptops but no one is forcing me to buy one either.
I will continue to use them as they last longer and retain their value better. For me, that is reason enough.
__________________
Torn between the pencil and the mouse-Apple pencil.
robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 02:04 PM   #39
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
Actually, you can swap in new SSD/flash module in that machine....

How do you upgrade or replace the storage in the 15-Inch Retina Display MacBook Pro models?
Yes, but the price is significantly higher then a standard SSD. OWC price for a 2TB Apple SSD is $603 CDN and that is not including taxes or shipping. You can buy standard 2TB SSD's on Amazon for less then $300, most are around $320 but can be found for less. That is significantly less and I do not see any value for Apples flash drives other then it is the only thing that will work with a MacBook.

I don't recommend Apple laptops anymore, they are pricey, you get less for more. The very idea that they charge so much for storage is absurd and purely done to push paying monthly for cloud storage.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 02:36 PM   #40
Honourable Citizen
 
dona83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 6,500
2017 MacBook Pro or 2018 MacBook Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I switched to a 27" imac and was really surprised how great it is.



I don't really need a laptop but have a 2011 MBP for those times I need it.



Thanks to this thread, I will look into more ram and a SSD to hopefully breath new life into it and make it last a bit longer. :-)



I don't like the direction Apple is taking with their laptops but no one is forcing me to buy one either.

I will continue to use them as they last longer and retain their value better. For me, that is reason enough.
Upgrading that gen MacBook Pro is beyond simple and so worth it. They have a kit to replace your SuperDrive with another drive if you wanted as well. You’ll be amazed watching your old Mac boot up into MacOSX in under 25 seconds.

The retained value of Macs is a big one. Macs are highly sought after, PCs are typically not unless it’s a Microsoft Surface or something. Macs are depreciating assets, PCs are an expense.
__________________
2017 MacBook Air, 2009 iMac 21.5", iPhone XR 128GB Black, iPad Pro 10.5" 256GB Wifi+LTE
dona83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!