Wwdc 2019 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 07:12 AM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,302
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Cool Wwdc 2019

WWDC 2019 Keynote streaming on Monday at 10:00am PDT / 1:00pm EDT / 2:00pm ADT
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,003
Can't see wasting my time on this. Pretty sure even if they finally get around to a hopefully improved MacPro, I won't be able to afford it.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:36 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,302
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Pretty sure I've enabled this every time I set up iCloud on a new Mac... but I can't say that I ever had need to use it...

Apple to Discontinue Back to My Mac Feature in All Versions of macOS
Back to My Mac was launched with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) as a MobileMe service, but eventually moved over to iCloud with OS X Lion. It is designed to let Mac owners connect to one Mac from another Mac for file transfers and screen sharing purposes. It also lets users create a network of Mac computers with two or more Macs.

But due to the complexity of properly setting up a Mac network using the feature, the company has perhaps decided to permanently eliminate it from all macOS versions.

Here’s what Apple says in the support document:
“As of July 1, 2019, Back to My Mac service is not available in any other version of macOS. You can use these alternatives for file access, screen sharing, and remote desktop access.”
The document also highlights that customers can access their files across all of their devices, including new machines, from iCloud Drive. Another way is to use Apple Remote Desktop, which lets users run apps and files on other Macs.

__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:40 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
Pretty sure I've enabled this every time I set up iCloud on a new Mac... but I can't say that I ever had need to use it...

Apple to Discontinue Back to My Mac Feature in All Versions of macOS
Back to My Mac was launched with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) as a MobileMe service, but eventually moved over to iCloud with OS X Lion. It is designed to let Mac owners connect to one Mac from another Mac for file transfers and screen sharing purposes. It also lets users create a network of Mac computers with two or more Macs.

But due to the complexity of properly setting up a Mac network using the feature, the company has perhaps decided to permanently eliminate it from all macOS versions.

Here’s what Apple says in the support document:
“As of July 1, 2019, Back to My Mac service is not available in any other version of macOS. You can use these alternatives for file access, screen sharing, and remote desktop access.”
The document also highlights that customers can access their files across all of their devices, including new machines, from iCloud Drive. Another way is to use Apple Remote Desktop, which lets users run apps and files on other Macs.

I use it all the time to connect to other computers in our office. We use it for easy file sharing and swapping. I also use the back to my mac screen sharing to help with problems without needing to leave my desk.

I never setup anything, just enabled it so not sure what the complexities are. Of course we would not want anything difficult for Apple, this does seem to be there normal thing. Take away features and add bigger emojis to make up for it.

If this is removed it is another nail in the coffin pushing me away from Apple as they get rid of simple and useful tools that make my life easier. If MacOS does not make my life easier what is the point of using it and paying the premium for their hardware?
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,302
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
I got tied up today and missed the WWDC Keynote - waiting for it to be available for rewatch.

I did catch the last 10 minutes - and the new SwiftUI programming interface looks pretty darn cool.

Tim came on and did a wrap, which I half-caught, and on the screen behind him was an image of... I think it was a cheese grater? That's what we used to call the Macintosh desktops... did they actually go ahead and build one, or am I missing a joke?
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
polywog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orleans, On
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I got tied up today and missed the WWDC Keynote - waiting for it to be available for rewatch.

I did catch the last 10 minutes - and the new SwiftUI programming interface looks pretty darn cool.

Tim came on and did a wrap, which I half-caught, and on the screen behind him was an image of... I think it was a cheese grater? That's what we used to call the Macintosh desktops... did they actually go ahead and build one, or am I missing a joke?
I admit, I was impressed for the first time in a while. As long as you ignore price points.

The whole privacy push was really awesome.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
I got tied up today and missed the WWDC Keynote - waiting for it to be available for rewatch.

I did catch the last 10 minutes - and the new SwiftUI programming interface looks pretty darn cool.

Tim came on and did a wrap, which I half-caught, and on the screen behind him was an image of... I think it was a cheese grater? That's what we used to call the Macintosh desktops... did they actually go ahead and build one, or am I missing a joke?
Without a doubt the ugliest Apple products ever. I have an old beige G3 powermac sitting in the basement at work and prefer that design to this new one.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,302
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
Holy cow.

Apple's new $5,000 monitor doesn't come with the $1,000 stand | Mashable
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:45 PM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
hexdiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,392
Price point & aesthetics set aside: the expandable/ upgradeable Mac Pro is back! Call it a cheese grater if you will, the trash can is no more!

Something else: I read a rackable Mac Pro is in the making.
No more whining about aesthetics then, just plain functionality!
Full frontal technology in a 19"rack (2 units I bet)!!
__________________
Recycle the planet!
hexdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:42 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexdiy View Post
Price point & aesthetics set aside: the expandable/ upgradeable Mac Pro is back! Call it a cheese grater if you will, the trash can is no more!
... ... ...

Finally as some have figured out, we can now have our Mac and Cheese...!!!


- Patrick
======
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!