Browsers - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Ladybearbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 82
Browsers

Hi All

I am running an ipad mini - first edition and an older Macbook Pro. Not really interested in upgrading

However, I am getting really tired of the warnings from Firefox that the sites I am visiting (credit union and sites I work with) are not safe because they have not upgraded their certificate - supposedly

Any suggestions on a browser that Imight use as an alternative to Safari? Not really interested in the megalith Google getting into my life

I just tried to download Opera onto the ipad - a but apparently Safari cannot download it

Thank you for your help
Ladybearbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybearbc View Post
Hi All

I am running an ipad mini - first edition and an older Macbook Pro. Not really interested in upgrading

However, I am getting really tired of the warnings from Firefox that the sites I am visiting (credit union and sites I work with) are not safe because they have not upgraded their certificate - supposedly

Any suggestions on a browser that Imight use as an alternative to Safari? Not really interested in the megalith Google getting into my life

I just tried to download Opera onto the ipad - a but apparently Safari cannot download it

Thank you for your help
You do not download applications through Safari on the iPad, you need to use the App store. There are security issues with older browsers that are not updated which is why websites, especially financial ones will warn you.

Not sure why you are against Google Chrome, you do not need a gmail account or any other Google account to use the browser. There are some great benefits to upgrading your iPad mini, one is updated iOS for latest browsers and security, the other is the screen which is fantastic, very sharp and easy to read.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 85,475
Send a message via AIM to SINC
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 3.1 million folks have.)
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM   #4
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 24
I use iCab Mobile (available at the iOS Apple Store) on my iPad because of its myriad of controls and settings, including website-by-website type-size settings.

I run the always-latest Firefox on my iMac because of the extensions available, among them NoSquint Plus for website-by-website type-size settings.

If your version of Firefox is the most recent and you’re running the most recent operating system available for your MacBook Pro (as you should be with your iPad), see if this stops Firefox’s certificate warnings:

Go into Firefox’s Preferences, click on Advanced at the bottom of the column on the left, click on the Certificates tab at the top right and remove the check mark at the bottom from “Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates.”

Last edited by Arkay; Apr 5th, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Arkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Full Citizen
 
Ladybearbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
You do not download applications through Safari on the iPad, you need to use the App store. There are security issues with older browsers that are not updated which is why websites, especially financial ones will warn you.

Not sure why you are against Google Chrome, you do not need a gmail account or any other Google account to use the browser. There are some great benefits to upgrading your iPad mini, one is updated iOS for latest browsers and security, the other is the screen which is fantastic, very sharp and easy to read.
Thank you!

Google - just on general principles - i just don't feel they are particularly interested in respecting the fact that not everyone wants all their personal info sprayed everywhere.

I haven't bought into the philosophy that everything becomes obsolete when the new model comes out. Way too many electronics going to the dump.....

Thank you again
Ladybearbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Full Citizen
 
Ladybearbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay View Post
I use iCab Mobile (available at the iOS Apple Store) on my iPad because of its myriad of controls and settings, including website-by-website type-size settings.

I run the always-latest Firefox on my iMac because of the extensions available, among them NoSquint Plus for website-by-website type-size settings.

If your version of Firefox is the most recent and you’re running the most recent operating system available for your MacBook Pro (as you should be with your iPad), see if this stops Firefox’s certificate warnings:

Go into Firefox’s Preferences, click on Advanced at the bottom of the column on the left, click on the Certificates tab at the top right and remove the check mark at the bottom from “Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates.”
Thank you will check the preferences and see if that works
Ladybearbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.
I just assumed she had already tried and not liked. I prefer Safari and use it on all my devices. Chrome is a good alternative and would be my second choice for a browser. If security is an issue though you need to keep up to date, be it Safari or anything else.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hammer
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.
+1

I was so irritated a couple of weeks ago when I tried to get some SmartSource coupons electronically Via the FLIPP app, they demanded I use Chrome or Firefox to open the URL to download the PDF. I sent them an email and got a the generic thanks for the feedback, your SOL response

BReligion
__________________
"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned for Sega. " - Brodie Bruce :: Mallrats ::
BReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
And I am puzzled why Mac users reject Safari. Good grief it is built by Apple for Apple products and I find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that Firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years I have used Safari without issues of any kind.
Not sure about the new Safari, but some of us still running Snow Leopard, have noticed Safari 5.1.1 continually reading/writing to the HD even though other browsers get by with but a fraction of that activity.

I have set FireFox to cache to memory something that is impossible with Safari. As a result there is almost zero HD activity when using FF.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Indigent Academic
 
rgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Gulag of E ON
Posts: 8,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinc View Post
and i am puzzled why mac users reject safari. Good grief it is built by apple for apple products and i find it to be reliable, stable and without all the associated bells and whistles that firefox likes to drag into my system. It is a mystery to me and has been for the many years i have used safari without issues of any kind.
+1
__________________
"not all those who wander are lost….." j.r.r. tolkien
rgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
all my browsers stop working sergeg1 Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 6 Oct 27th, 2012 01:01 AM
"Virtual Paper" Flash won't work in any browsers on my Mac Paddy Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 9 Apr 28th, 2011 06:20 PM
Which Mac browsers use a different rendering engine.... krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 10 Mar 5th, 2007 04:34 PM
browsers that eat CPU time Script Kiddie Anything Mac 6 Oct 22nd, 2003 01:21 PM
Browsers in the Hands of an Angry God jfpoole Anything Mac 1 Mar 7th, 2003 02:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!