My wife asked me if I could create a copy of a school DVD. I have been following the instructions in this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1750496?tstart=0
but I can't seem to get it to work as when i insert the blank dvd it says there is not enough space as seen in attached screenshot.
Here are the instructions
Duplicate a CD or DVD
1. Insert the DVD/CD;
2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD/CD from the left side list (select the DVD/CD icon on top);
3. from the DU File menu select New | Disk Image from Disk 1;
4. Choose to format the disk image as DVD/CD Master, name the disk image and click Save;
5. When the .cdr file is finished select it with mouse and press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info and check the box to lock the file;
6. Choose the .cdr file from the left side list, click Burn, and insert a new, blank DVD or CD.
The disc will have the .cdr extension which you want to change to .iso before burning.
Now I don't know why they left the last line out of the sequence and is it required?
Dear Joker, going on that screenshot I think you've inserted a CD-R(ecordable) instead of a DVD-R (W) (=Recordable or Rewritable))/ DVD+R (W) (=Recordable or Rewritable). Please insert the right medium for burning. Older Macs/ Superdrives will only take DVD+ R(W)s for images/ movies. Once done that, you'll be all right.
What is the size of the original dvd? I'm guessing you need a double layer disc.
Ah. The original size is 5.39GB. Thanks for pointing that out IllusionX.
Originally Posted by hexdiy
Dear Joker, going on that screenshot I think you've inserted a CD-R(ecordable) instead of a DVD-R (W) (=Recordable or Rewritable))/ DVD+R (W) (=Recordable or Rewritable). Please insert the right medium for burning. Older Macs/ Superdrives will only take CD+ R(W)s. Once done that, you'll be all right.
There is nothing in the screenshot that points to having inserted a CD-R. The .cdr extension is a generic extension that OS X gives to any disk master image.
__________________ Mine:iMac 5k (4.0/24/1TB Fusion/295X), 12" MacBook (1.1/8/256), iPad Air 2 128GB WiFi, iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Hers: 15" Late-2011 MBP (2.2/16/480 SSD), iPad Air 16GB WiFi, iPhone 5c 16GB Home Server: 2010 Mac Mini (Core2Duo/8GB) with 14TB attached storage Other Stuff: Apple TVs, Airport Expresses for AirTunes, ASUS 802.11ac routers