Mail keeps asking for password - Page 2 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Honourable Citizen
 
Macified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Park City, Markham, Haliburton
Posts: 4,485
Send a message via AIM to Macified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkynassau View Post
It's my ISP's email that I use, not hotmail etc. It's doing it as I type this, asking over and over for my main account, sometimes it'll ask for the 4 email accounts I have, and so I type in the same damn thing for each, and it is correct. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I've had Mac mail for about 6 yrs and this is the first time it's gone nuts like this for a long time. Very frustrating.
FYI - your ISP may rely on a third party for mail serving; many do. As I mentioned in my previous post, Sympatico mail sits on Hotmail servers.
__________________
“Maybe some day somebody will call me "Sir" without adding "You're making a scene"!!”
-Homer Simpson
Macified is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #12
Full Citizen
 
Felixtrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 98
Have same problem with my iMac and my wife's Mac Air. Had to call Rogers to get it fixed. Took some time in both cases.
Felixtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #13
Honourable Citizen
 
Paddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,838
Funkynassau, is your ISP Rogers - using Yahoo mail, by any chance? It's a known issue and been going on for ages. Mine was driving me completely insane a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason or other has been behaving itself lately. That's what makes this so frustrating - not only does Yahoo not fix it, the problem itself is intermittent. There are various "cures" that people have come up with (see the Apple forums) but in the long run, none of them actually seem to work.

Also, the problem seems to be worse with IMAP, which I don't think Yahoo is very good at. Certainly GMail seems to work better - I've never had this issue with my GMail accounts. Touch wood.

Felixtrio, what did Rogers do? If there really IS a fix, I'd love to know, in case things go wonky again!
__________________
2.8GHz MacPro, 2.7GHz i7 Retina MBP and a bunch of other Macs and i-things
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:07 AM   #14
kps
Tritium Glow
 
kps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North of the Mullet Line
Posts: 7,141
Similar issue here from time to time, but I don't need to enter pswds. Just choose the default "Try with selected Server" and the mail goes through. However I have my own domain and mail server which is my primary email gateway. I had to get my ISP to authorize the SMTP server to be accepted in the network.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smtp=error.jpg (14.7 KB, 64 views)
__________________
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Honourable Citizen
 
Atroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
Similar issue here from time to time, but I don't need to enter pswds. Just choose the default "Try with selected Server" and the mail goes through. However I have my own domain and mail server which is my primary email gateway. I had to get my ISP to authorize the SMTP server to be accepted in the network.
I believe that is an outbound mail problem where the SMTP server needs a login. From the description the OP was having trouble retrieving email. Choosing a different server won't help that.
__________________
'
"Do the Right Thing. It will gratify some people and astound the rest." - Mark Twain
Atroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Full Citizen
 
ChilBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Funkynassau, is your ISP Rogers - using Yahoo mail, by any chance? It's a known issue and been going on for ages. Mine was driving me completely insane a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason or other has been behaving itself lately. That's what makes this so frustrating - not only does Yahoo not fix it, the problem itself is intermittent. There are various "cures" that people have come up with (see the Apple forums) but in the long run, none of them actually seem to work.

Also, the problem seems to be worse with IMAP, which I don't think Yahoo is very good at. Certainly GMail seems to work better - I've never had this issue with my GMail accounts. Touch wood.

Felixtrio, what did Rogers do? If there really IS a fix, I'd love to know, in case things go wonky again!
Same here - I called and of course not their problem... BS I said - I used Yahoo as the SMTP and he said now it is broadband.rogers - so they switched their SMTP again - no issues lately.

Another issue was emails with attachment was blocked by a corporate firewall - mis-matched accounts (rogers server and gmail account) - again Rogers claims innocence so I switched the sending SMTP to mail.gmail.com and away from Rogers server and the corporate firewall accepted it
__________________
MBP 15" • iMac 24 (1 - White and 1 Aluminum) * Parallels V12 w W7
Mac user since 1985 • iPhone Black 7Plus • iPhone 6Plus • iPad 3G
ChilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 564
No I dont have rogers, nobody hates them more than I do I dont use yahoo mail either, it's my Mac's own Mail program that I use.

It seemed to settle down for a few days and now today it's acted up a few times, so whatever it is, still exists.

I am glad it's not just me who has this problem! Tho it had been fine for YEARS and it's a recent issue.
Funkynassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Honourable Citizen
 
Macified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Park City, Markham, Haliburton
Posts: 4,485
Send a message via AIM to Macified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkynassau View Post
No I dont have rogers, nobody hates them more than I do I dont use yahoo mail either, it's my Mac's own Mail program that I use.

It seemed to settle down for a few days and now today it's acted up a few times, so whatever it is, still exists.

I am glad it's not just me who has this problem! Tho it had been fine for YEARS and it's a recent issue.
The Mail app on your computer has to access a server out there on the internet somewhere. That server could be yahoo, hotmail, gmail, whatever. You may not even know what the underlying server is. As I said, my internet and mail provider is Sympatico. The mail portion provided to Sympatico by hotmail.

It's the server that's the issue.
__________________
“Maybe some day somebody will call me "Sir" without adding "You're making a scene"!!”
-Homer Simpson
Macified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #19
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,373
Odd and I just started getting a window as kps' post #14 shot yesterday and again today, but only when emailing some six family relatives. And I just got off the phone with the shaw tech who agreed that something was a bit strange and they will look into the problem.

As per the attached shot, I just kept clicking the 'Try With Selected Server', the default server, and didn't select the optional server. The email finally went through after about three clicks, and no 'undelivered' notice received. All a bit strange and no Mail account settings have been changed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-06-08 at 7.34.06 PM copy.png (111.6 KB, 30 views)
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Full Citizen
 
mgmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ON
Posts: 595
Send a message via Skype™ to mgmitchell
It happens with me, too. I have a GMX account tied to my Mail account on the MBook, use a dlink router, Xplornet. Randomly, it seems to make me "prove" who I am. Annoying.
__________________
MacBook Air, 1.6 Intel Core i5, 8 GB (2015)
iPad2 (2011)
(no longer an iPhone user .. )
mgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple mail "Envelope Index" - Warning!? krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 5 Dec 13th, 2009 08:57 AM
apple mail won't get mail chili Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 6 Apr 8th, 2009 07:14 AM
Heads up Mail search/Spotlight mail search problem MacDoc Anything Mac 21 Apr 17th, 2008 11:38 AM
Stop junk snail mail cold MacDoc Everything Else, eh! 19 Feb 13th, 2008 08:16 PM
Mac Mail or Yahoo mail? Deep Blue Anything Mac 12 Mar 2nd, 2007 09:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!