10.7 unavailable for purchase. - Page 5 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM   #41
Vorlon Ambassador
 
Kosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,295
I'd have to agree with Lars, I can guarantee that if they did leave Lion and Mountain Lion in the App Store or Apple Store, there would be complaints from people buying both, not realizing you don't need both.

You can't please people either way.

Besides, what's the big point. You can buy Lion by phoning Apple or going to Carbon Computing and buying it there. If Carbon Computing is still selling SL, they're still selling Lion, I'm sure.

As for assuming that Apple's doing this just to make you buy new hardware, that's a big leap in my books. There could be 101 reasons they're not selling it...
__________________
-- Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 150GB Raptor HD, 500GB HD, Superdrive, Radeon X1900XT, Bluetooth, Airport Exteme, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, 30" ACD
-- PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 160GB HD, Superdrive, Radeon X800XT, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme
-- Macbook Pro 2.53 15", 4GB, 320GB HD, SuperDrive, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme
Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #42
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Let me clarify:

- Lion and Mountain Lion are both for sale (say they were);
- User has Snow Leopard;
- User thinks he needs Lion before he can get Mountain Lion, which is false but he does not know better;
- User buys Lion for $29.
- User buys Mountain Lion for $19.
- User realizes he spent $48 to get Mountain Lion when he could have spent just $19.
- User is unimpressed.

Is what PosterBoy was getting at. And two or more versions of OS X were never for sale at the same time in the past.
No he spent $29 to get Lion and then $19 to get ML he did not spend $48 to get ML that is completely false and still a lame argument as past OSs cost $100 plus... Ignorant consumers are no excuse for the actions of Apple...

Here's another scenario...

User cant' buy ML as his hardware can't support it even though it is quite new... and now user can't buy Lion either because Apple stopped selling it.

User is unimpressed.

You really think this move is defensible and good policy? Well if you do we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by screature; Aug 3rd, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #43
Mac Guru
 
monokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
No he spent $29 to get Lion and then $19 to get ML...
Exactly. When he could have spent $19 only for Mountain Lion because you can skip Lion entirely from Snow Leopard.
__________________
ACMT
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) 2.3 GHz Core i7, 16GB, 256GB M4 SSD
iPhone 8 - 64GB S/G Sound System Audio Engine A2 Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
Custom Built Gaming PC Kaby Lake Edition | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 1070 8G
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM   #44
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
I'd have to agree with Lars, I can guarantee that if they did leave Lion and Mountain Lion in the App Store or Apple Store, there would be complaints from people buying both, not realizing you don't need both.

You can't please people either way.


Besides, what's the big point. You can buy Lion by phoning Apple or going to Carbon Computing and buying it there. If Carbon Computing is still selling SL, they're still selling Lion, I'm sure.

As for assuming that Apple's doing this just to make you buy new hardware, that's a big leap in my books. There could be 101 reasons they're not selling it...
You can please people both ways by just keep selling the OS that your hardware supports when it is this recent... and you can't guarantee anything that you don't know.

Last I checked Carbon Computing isn't Apple and it is their policies that are in question.

Not likely... the reason is rather obvious for those that aren't in the "glorious" position of having upgraded to the "latest and greatest" in a "timely" fashion.

Sorry I call fanbois on those that think this is reasonable policy on the part of Apple... IMO.

Last edited by screature; Aug 3rd, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #45
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Exactly. When he could have spent $19 only for Mountain Lion because you can skip Lion entirely from Snow Leopard.
And so you could skip other iterations of OSX without having paid for the previous gen so long as you had the necessary hardware... this isn't exactly anything new and the previous gens of OSX cost a helluva lot more.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #46
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 9,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Exactly. When he could have spent $19 only for Mountain Lion because you can skip Lion entirely from Snow Leopard.
You're grasping at straws.
I agree with screature, the way it stands right now, there are thousands, if not millions of Mac users who have hardware that can support Lion but they can't buy the OS.

As to your argument that people will be peeved that they spent money to buy Lion and then spent more for ML when those guys could have upgraded directly...
well, for one the consumer should educate themselves as to what they buy before they do that and that one can upgrade from SL to ML is not exactly a state secret, and secondly, we are talking $30.- here - drop in the bucket when it comes to Apple products.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #47
Mac Guru
 
monokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
And so you could skip other iterations of OSX without having paid for the previous gen...
The only point I'm clarifying on his behalf is that if Lion and Mountain Lion were sold at the same time, on the Mac App Store, there would be people who think they need to buy Lion first, and then Mountain Lion, to get to ML from Snow Leopard -- those people would spend $48 instead of $19 for no reason. You can skip Lion entirely from SL, and some people would not understand that fact - and pay $48 (more than double necessary) as a result. That is one reason Lion is no longer available on the Mac App Store. I'm not saying it's good or that you have to agree with what Apple did - I'm simply clarifying why it is the way it is and what PosterBoy stated.*


*That is just my opinion on the matter.
__________________
ACMT
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) 2.3 GHz Core i7, 16GB, 256GB M4 SSD
iPhone 8 - 64GB S/G Sound System Audio Engine A2 Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
Custom Built Gaming PC Kaby Lake Edition | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 1070 8G

Last edited by monokitty; Aug 3rd, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #48
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
And two or more versions of OS X were never for sale at the same time in the past.
except for the last year when two versions of the OS were for sale
broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #49
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 9,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
You can buy Lion by phoning Apple or going to Carbon Computing and buying it there. If Carbon Computing is still selling SL, they're still selling Lion, I'm sure.
Exactly how is Carbon Computing selling Lion?
The only possible legal way would be if they sold the Apple Lion USB stick.
I sure don't see that option on their web site.

And has anyone tried buying Lion from Apple by phoning them?
What happens?
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #50
Mac Guru
 
monokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
except for the last year when two versions of the OS were for sale
I stand corrected, and that was really only because Lion was the first digital download of OS X and they gave people a year to catch up to Snow Leopard to obtain the Mac App Store that comes with 10.6.6+ which opens the door to Lion and now Mountain Lion. But previously to 2011, it never happened.
__________________
ACMT
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) 2.3 GHz Core i7, 16GB, 256GB M4 SSD
iPhone 8 - 64GB S/G Sound System Audio Engine A2 Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
Custom Built Gaming PC Kaby Lake Edition | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 1070 8G
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple, canada, lion, online, purchase

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10.7 Mail setting Reply To help Optimize Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 9 Dec 25th, 2011 09:09 PM
MacPro1,1 and Lion (10.7) Dennis Nedry Anything Mac 47 Aug 9th, 2011 11:11 PM
10.7 and Wide Gamut monitors... Dennis Nedry Mac Masters 1 Jul 30th, 2011 11:16 AM
To Firefox users....5.0.1 mentions 10.7 Digikid Anything Mac 9 Jul 14th, 2011 03:26 PM
bluetooth unavailable kastytis Anything Mac 6 Jul 14th, 2009 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!