Apple TV needs its own forum - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


View Poll Results: Move apple TV threads to a dedicated part of the forum
Yes 40 66.67%
No 20 33.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Full Citizen
 
cchaynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 393
Apple TV needs its own forum

I find it hard to at a glance just see the latest buzz about ATV. This forum is crowded with ipod / itunes / iphone stuff.

no today i see a forum for the islate or tablet.......

there isnt even a product and there is a forum....

please vote
__________________
iMac (24-inch, Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz,Spring 2009),iMac 20" Late 2006 3GB Time Capsule 1TB, iPhone 4 32gb, OS X (10.6.4), Macbook White 2GB, 2 x Apple TV 40gb, iPad 64gb wifi
cchaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2
IAMSTIG
 
Andrew Pratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,676
Its a product in limbo at the moment though...hopefully we'll see a shift in Apple's thinking soon and a movement to bring the AppleTV into the fold so to speak. Think of what could be done with an SDK for the AppleTV and some effort to tie in the tablet, iPhoneOS and iTunes in with the AppleTV.
Andrew Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Full Citizen
 
mgmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ON
Posts: 595
Send a message via Skype™ to mgmitchell
I must admit I have no idea what ATV "is". Sounds like I would connect my lap top to my TV and ... what? I've had a Mac for 2+ years, but I've never ventured into ATV World. Don't watch much TV, maybe that's why.
mgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 74
I have an atv and it's too bad apple has done nothing more to it. It was a waste of money and I'm a huge apple guy. If it had it's own page there will be nothing on it. Cmon apple wake up with atv, put cable and sat to shame.
Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Member #5
 
Bjornbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario's South Coast
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
It was a waste of money.
So? Sell it to me for $75.
__________________
Bjornbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 443
The apple tv was always a hobby project, it really didn't have much use right out of the box. 3rd parties have added some pretty good functionality to it, that makes it much better, albeit not easy to set up.

If new rumours today are true, it might be come more useful very soon.

Rumor: Apple's TV subscription plans stall on "tablet eve"
jwootton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Member #5
 
Bjornbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario's South Coast
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwootton View Post
...it really didn't have much use right out of the box...
(Third time posting this challenge in the last two years and still, no one can call me on it. )

CHALLENGE:
Here's what I do with my AppleTV. (In no particular order) Can anyone show me a cheaper solution that, on demand, can:
Prerequisite: Device must be able to stream HD content from my Mac to my Hi-Def TV without any modification.

1. stream all of my photos as organized in playlists from iPhoto and allow me to subscribe to friends' Flickr or .Mac (Mobile me) accounts to view their photos?
2. stream all of my homemade videos
3. stream my whole, Handbrake ripped, DVD collection as I've organized in playlists from iTunes
4. stream all of my music as organized in playlists from iTunes
5. allow me to watch any YouTube video
6. allow me to watch HD Podcasts
7. allow me to watch current HD movie trailers
8. allow me to browse, rent or buy HD Movies and TV Shows
9. allow me to browse, listen to samples and buy music from the world's largest online music store
10. allow me to browse and listen to 1000s of internet radio sations
11. (portability) take some or all of the above mentioned synched content stored on said device and easily connect to another Hi-Def TV without any overscan or underscan issues (I've had to do this when visiting older relatives who don't use the internet or even have a computer.)

And who knows, in the future (software) revisions, allow me to play games from the iTunes app store using my iPod Touch as a remote game pad.
__________________
Bjornbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
I'd rather see a Mini sub forum personally.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbro View Post
(Third time posting this challenge in the last two years and still, no one can call me on it. )

CHALLENGE:
Here's what I do with my AppleTV. (In no particular order) Can anyone show me a cheaper solution that, on demand, can:
Prerequisite: Device must be able to stream HD content from my Mac to my Hi-Def TV without any modification.

1. stream all of my photos as organized in playlists from iPhoto and allow me to subscribe to friends' Flickr or .Mac (Mobile me) accounts to view their photos?
2. stream all of my homemade videos
3. stream my whole, Handbrake ripped, DVD collection as I've organized in playlists from iTunes
4. stream all of my music as organized in playlists from iTunes
5. allow me to watch any YouTube video
6. allow me to watch HD Podcasts
7. allow me to watch current HD movie trailers
8. allow me to browse, rent or buy HD Movies and TV Shows
9. allow me to browse, listen to samples and buy music from the world's largest online music store
10. allow me to browse and listen to 1000s of internet radio sations
11. (portability) take some or all of the above mentioned synched content stored on said device and easily connect to another Hi-Def TV without any overscan or underscan issues (I've had to do this when visiting older relatives who don't use the internet or even have a computer.)

And who knows, in the future (software) revisions, allow me to play games from the iTunes app store using my iPod Touch as a remote game pad.
Agreed, the biggest drawback I had was the size of the hard drive and no out of the box support for an external hard drive. The other thing is the lack of supported formats. I have many home videos that I could not play out of the box as well as my digitized DVD collection, that i had ripped to my computer prior to getting the apple tv and I did not put them in the right format. Converting them all was going to be a hassle, so 3rd party programs made things much easier.

The last thing that is really useful through 3rd party software (not easily accomplished however) is the ability to use FIrefox to watch TV content from CTV,CBC, etc. even more content is available for free in the US.
jwootton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Member #5
 
Bjornbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario's South Coast
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwootton View Post
the biggest drawback I had was the size of the hard drive and no out of the box support for an external hard drive.
This is the single most design error of the AppleTV for me. My library is quite large and growing by the week. I have a 4TB Drobo that'll need larger drives soon, but having my AppleTV connect to it directly just makes sense. I don't see the need for a Mac to be a bridge betwixt the two.
__________________
Bjornbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!