Just got an iPhone, 17.50 a month, no data plan...need to block data - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 110
Just got an iPhone, 17.50 a month, no data plan...need to block data

So I just got the EPP plan from rogers. For those who don't know it's a "secret" plan, not on their website, 17.50 a month for 200 anytime and unlimited evenings and weekends at 6pm. You have to be "corporate" though, but an airmiles card is all you need to get it.

Anyways I opted out of data and thought I could just block it on the phone, so I shut off 3G and Data Roaming, but now I'm connected to the edge network...

Which poses a huge problem what with the cost of data (I think it's 5cents a kilobyte when you're not on a data plan).

Can I block edge too, or do I have to call Roger's to get them to block it?

Thanks guys.
__________________
24" iMac 3.06Ghz/750GB/4GB RAM
BlackBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo/320GB/2GB RAM
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core Duo/160GB/2GB RAM (Plex HTPC)
iPad 2 64GB + 3G
iPhone 8GB 3G
iPod Classic 160GB
White iPod Nano 2GB
Apple TV2
AppleEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 11,953
Send a message via AIM to chas_m
I am greatly amused by the fact that Rogers' "secret" plan is prominently featured on Fido's website as "Killer Deal."

It's as though they think we don't know they're the same company.
chas_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,690
The Rogers and fido plans are very different.

To the OP, yes, call Rogers in order to block all data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I am greatly amused by the fact that Rogers' "secret" plan is prominently featured on Fido's website as "Killer Deal."

It's as though they think we don't know they're the same company.
__________________
For sale: black iPod Classic 160GB

Morgan Figueiredo / Fleming = Scammer He's "The G3 Man" here on ehMac.

HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,327
I believe it's available only to new customers.
At least that's what I was told on 2 occasions by the Fido agent.
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,690
The agent makes more on new signups. And is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
I believe it's available only to new customers.
At least that's what I was told on 2 occasions by the Fido agent.
__________________
For sale: black iPod Classic 160GB

Morgan Figueiredo / Fleming = Scammer He's "The G3 Man" here on ehMac.

HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
dmpP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Thornhill, Ontario
Posts: 1,019
Send a message via ICQ to dmpP Send a message via AIM to dmpP Send a message via MSN to dmpP Send a message via Yahoo to dmpP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleEnthusiast View Post
So I just got the EPP plan from rogers. For those who don't know it's a "secret" plan, not on their website, 17.50 a month for 200 anytime and unlimited evenings and weekends at 6pm. You have to be "corporate" though, but an airmiles card is all you need to get it.

Anyways I opted out of data and thought I could just block it on the phone, so I shut off 3G and Data Roaming, but now I'm connected to the edge network...

Which poses a huge problem what with the cost of data (I think it's 5cents a kilobyte when you're not on a data plan).

Can I block edge too, or do I have to call Roger's to get them to block it?

Thanks guys.
So... I have an airmiles card. What do I have to do when I call Rogers? I'm currently with Bell...
__________________
---==[ dmpP ]==---

photography
twitter
blog
dmpP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
The agent makes more on new signups. And is wrong.
Now why would two separate agents claim otherwise? Odds are that they're right.
In fact I checked a third time and again, no go.
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
Now why would two separate agents claim otherwise? Odds are that they're right.
In fact I checked a third time and again, no go.
...or you were unlucky three times. There are many examples on this board of people being told the incorrect information repeatedly (such as "you can't buy an iPhone without a data plan"). Keep phoning, or insist that the agent look into it further because you've been told otherwise.

I would trust HowEver to know the various plans, rules, etc. more than I would the CSRs with whom you've spoken.
zc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #9
Full Citizen
 
scandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 473
Couldn't you push them for 5pm evenings like Fido?
scandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc11 View Post
...or you were unlucky three times. There are many examples on this board of people being told the incorrect information repeatedly (such as "you can't buy an iPhone without a data plan"). Keep phoning, or insist that the agent look into it further because you've been told otherwise.

I would trust HowEver to know the various plans, rules, etc. more than I would the CSRs with whom you've spoken.
Perhaps this is a Rogers thing...I was speaking to Fido agent, if that makes any difference.
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Gen 1 Phone + 6 GB data plan? Niagaramark All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 6 Aug 19th, 2008 12:46 AM
Dataless iPhone plan - possible to survive, or not? SeeB All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 99 Aug 17th, 2008 11:05 PM
Telecommunications in Canada vs Japan and Rogers... MacGYVER All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 13 Jun 29th, 2008 03:28 PM
Fido Hiptop Data Plan for iPhone? aaron All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 4 Sep 17th, 2007 11:43 AM
Are Canadians overzealous about the iPhone? monokitty All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 13 Aug 14th, 2007 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!