The iPod shuffle Reset Utility restores First Generation iPod shuffle. The restore process completely erases all music and data on iPod shuffle and reinstalls software version 1.1.4. iPod shuffle Reset Utility is only for First Generation 512MB and 1GB iPod shuffle. Any other iPod, including Second Generation iPod shuffle is not supported.
Use the iPod shuffle Reset Utility to fix the following issues:
* With the iPod shuffle switched on, pressing the Play button will cause amber and green LEDs to flash for a few seconds, and the unit will not play any music, nor can you sync music to it from iTunes.
* On a Windows PC, iPod shuffle will appear in My Computer as a “Removable Disk,” however the iPod shuffle volume will not mount correctly. The unit is listed in Device Manager under “Disk Drives” as “Apple iPod USB Device.”
* On a Mac, the unit will only be recognized in Apple System Profiler under Hardware -> USB and will not appear or mount in the Finder.
* When attempting to restore, the unit may not be recognized at all. However, if it is recognized, the restore may fail with an error dialog “Firmware update failure. Disk write error” or another error. It may take 3 restore attempts before the error appears. NOTE: iPod shuffle may take several minutes to be recognized.
- Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
- First Generation 512MB and 1GB iPod shuffle
FINALLY. Now... where the heck did I toss that Shuffle....?
I wasn't having any of the problems listed in the fix but my 1st gen refurb shuffle didn't work out of the box (song would start and then get really garbled). Ran the fix and the shuffle works great now.
“Maybe some day somebody will call me "Sir" without adding "You're making a scene"!!”
Apple Stores visited:
Amsterdam (still covered in the famous black boards)
Yorkdale (#400ish at opening)
Walden Galleria, Buffalo
Keystone Crossing, Indianapolis
Biltmore Fashion Park, Phoenix
Scottsdale Quarter, Scottsdale AZ (flagship type store) http://www.apple.com/retail/scottsdalequarter/
Eaton Centre, Toronto