iTunes fear - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Jazzboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 152
iTunes fear

I was just reading a CBS News report on the demise of iTunes. Disturbingly, it suggests that songs bought on the site since it premiered in 2001 might require an annual subscription to the new Music app to be playable! Someone, please, tell me it ain't so!
__________________
A good newspaper afflicts the comfortable and comforts the afflicted.
Jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:41 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,160
Just make sure you have your own copies of all your old iTunes music and stuff and make sure it's backed up as well.

And maybe use google and read more, ie:
Apple is shutting down iTunes—here’s what will happen to your music
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/04/appl...our-music.html

Apple Is Pulling the Plug on iTunes. So What Happens to All Your Music?
Quote:
But what’s going to happen to all that music you’ve collected over the years? Worry not, Apple says in a press release announcing macOS Catalina: “Users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD.” You’ll just have to use that new Music app instead of iTunes.
https://time.com/5600502/apple-itunes-app-music/

etc. ...

As for iTunes and iDevice backup and support, one should be using iMazing.app anyway and it's on sale lately for only $20.00:
https://www.macheist.com/sales/imazi...-mac-windows-5



- Patrick
======

Last edited by pm-r; Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,169
It's not so. Apple is separating what iTunes currently does. I think it is actually a good thing. No longer needing iTunes if you manually connect and add to your iPad and iPhone. It now shows up like an external drive.... almost anyways.

iTunes is being replaced with Music which will have all your music in it that you have downloaded. I can see them eventually getting rid of individual sales though. As pm-r said make sure everything is downloaded and not streaming. Apple will give a lot of warning when/if they decide to go down this road of streaming only and removing purchased songs from their store.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
It's not so. Apple is separating what iTunes currently does. I think it is actually a good thing. No longer needing iTunes if you manually connect and add to your iPad and iPhone. It now shows up like an external drive.... almost anyways.

iTunes is being replaced with Music which will have all your music in it that you have downloaded. I can see them eventually getting rid of individual sales though. As pm-r said make sure everything is downloaded and not streaming. Apple will give a lot of warning when/if they decide to go down this road of streaming only and removing purchased songs from their store.
Does this mean those of us who do not upgrade to the latest and greatest OS will no longer be able to purchase music? I am still on elCap on the MBP. and usually run Snow Leopard on the cheese grater. The MBP could run High Sierra but I have no other reason and certainly no wish to go there.

OTOH I pretty much stopped making iTunes purchases once they bumped the price above 99¢.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMacMan View Post
Does this mean those of us who do not upgrade to the latest and greatest OS will no longer be able to purchase music? I am still on elCap on the MBP. and usually run Snow Leopard on the cheese grater. The MBP could run High Sierra but I have no other reason and certainly no wish to go there.

OTOH I pretty much stopped making iTunes purchases once they bumped the price above 99¢.
No idea, will be interesting to see when Catalina is released how things fair for the rest of us. I am not updating my OS anywhere near as fast as I used to. Was an early adopter up till Snow Leopard. After that the improvements were less and less interesting and useful to me.

I would imagine the store will still be there just access differently with the new apps. Can't see them wanting to close of that potential revenue stream for people who do not update immediately.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mill Bay, BC
Posts: 387
Apple released a support document outlining what to expect in OS 10.15

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200
__________________
One of the good things about living in a small community is when I don't know what I'm doing, someone else does.
18m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 11:16 AM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18m2 View Post
Apple released a support document outlining what to expect in OS 10.15

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200


In typical Apple fashion, that article seems to assume that everybody is just going to jump right in and install their latest upcoming Mac OS.

Sure not going to happen on my iMac!!!

Anyway, I'm sure the change will be very similar to what they did with iPhoto.app and switching to Photos.app. But some old features will probably be dropped or not available the same way they used to be.


- Patrick
======
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 85,052
Send a message via AIM to SINC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
In typical Apple fashion, that article seems to assume that everybody is just going to jump right in and install their latest upcoming Mac OS.

Sure not going to happen on my iMac!!!

Anyway, I'm sure the change will be very similar to what they did with iPhoto.app and switching to Photos.app. But some old features will probably be dropped or not available the same way they used to be.


- Patrick
======
This is precisely why I run both iPhoto and Photos apps on my MBP with two different libraries. iPhoto is still far superior to Photos!

I will also maintain iTunes as well by not upgrading it, duplicating it and to keep using it as it is if necessary.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 3.1 million folks have.)
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,691
I keep backups.

But I have zero fear that Apple is going to stop selling me stuff that earns them billions.
__________________
For sale: black iPod Classic 160GB

Morgan Figueiredo / Fleming = Scammer He's "The G3 Man" here on ehMac.

HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
I keep backups.

But I have zero fear that Apple is going to stop selling me stuff that earns them billions.

Definitely have no fear, even if Apple was going to stop selling you stuff, very doubtful, with all of the money at stake, there is bound to be several companies to come along and take their place, In fact there are already several that are competing quite well out there. So you'll certainly have no shortage of stuff to buy.


- Patrick
======
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
itunes store

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!