Live iPhone 5 Announcements and Details ehMac Live Chat & Discussion - Page 7 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #61
peek-a-boo
 
groovetube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
When oh when did making a cell phone bigger become something "landmark" Those big Samsung phones are a joke.



Typical PC mentality... Bigger numbers, bigger is better. Cheaper, bigger!!! Who cares about a hundred pain-staking amazing refinements, I want to rock with my huge samsung out around the block.

I think the iPhone 5 is the most amazing piece of human consumer technology I've ever seen. If you truly look at what it is, what it does, how it's made, and not just look for spec sheet sound bites, it's easy to see.
well that one is a bit ridiculous ehMax. I don't think anyone wanting a bit more width would want that hideous monstrosity.

I was hoping for, maybe a 1/4 inch widthwise. SOmething sane, not too big, but many other phones now, are slightly wider, which does make a big difference.

I know a loooot of a people were hoping for this. It's a somewhat of a disappointment. Not a deal breaker for me.

But, I'm going to disagree on the new port criticism. The whole reasoning is sound and makes sense if you understand why they needed to do it. And besides, doesn't all phones come with the cable? SHould I be up in arms because of the (now) useless 20 or so SCSCI cables I have taking up space downstairs that even the goodwill doesn't want?

I'm enough of a 'fanboi' that I will wait and see how iOS6 is. Be a dev I can download the gold master now. I will also, still get an iphone 5 despite my little disappointment on screen size. And, probably another new ipad, a mini when it comes out, and be likely putting that into a road case because yamaha released a killer live metronome app with a midi attachment. I can check my email while playing a set now...



groovetube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #62
Retired Mayor of ehMac
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,264
Send a message via AIM to ehMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
So, it turns out this website/forum is a very militant Mac website. ehMac himself (yourself) has been removing my posts just because I'm not going with the flow. And btw...I'm not a troll posting to dump on the iPhone 5. I own a loaded 27" iMac, 15" MBP...etc.

It's a shame we aren't able to honestly voice our views.

Having a screen that is almost 1" larger IS a big deal. Why do we buy smartphones? For the multimedia. So would having a larger than 3.5" screen (e.g. Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 @ 5.5") not make a difference? It would for me. Which is why I'm getting the Note 2 (not only for the screen size by the way...Samsung innovates...Apple only makes incremental changes with their iPhones/iPads...Apple used to be an innovator...they still are with their other products).

I'm outta here...
Dear RobS,

New members on ehMac who just join the site will have their first 5 posts on the site often flagged by the forum software for manual moderation to avoid the many spam attempts to the site. I was on ehMac from about 10am ET to about 5pm yesterday moderating and posting, and then only really quickly at late night to submit a few posts before going to bed. I'm doing some more moderating at 7:30 AM and approving other moderated posts.

You might want to become a bit more familiar with an online community before you start throwing around slanderous comments about removing posts and what not.
ehMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #63
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
When oh when did making a cell phone bigger become something "landmark" Those big Samsung phones are a joke.



Typical PC mentality... Bigger numbers, bigger is better. Cheaper, bigger!!! Who cares about a hundred pain-staking amazing refinements, I want to rock with my huge samsung out around the block.

I think the iPhone 5 is the most amazing piece of human consumer technology I've ever seen. If you truly look at what it is, what it does, how it's made, and not just look for spec sheet sound bites, it's easy to see.
I think that image is an extreme and something most would not. There are larger Samsung phones that are a nice size and bigger then the iPhone. I would have preferred slightly wider as well. Not to concerned about watching 16:9 movies at full screen on my Phone, more about a good useable space without getting into phablet territory.



Would we have a larger iPhone 5 if Samsung or others were not selling these larger devices like hot cakes? Or would it remain the same size as always?
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #64
peek-a-boo
 
groovetube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
I think that image is an extreme and something most would not. There are larger Samsung phones that are a nice size and bigger then the iPhone. I would have preferred slightly wider as well. Not to concerned about watching 16:9 movies at full screen on my Phone, more about a good useable space without getting into phablet territory.



Would we have a larger iPhone 5 if Samsung or others were not selling these larger devices like hot cakes? Or would it remain the same size as always?
precisely. I'm not interested in 16:9 movies on my phone either.



groovetube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #65
Retired Mayor of ehMac
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,264
Send a message via AIM to ehMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
Ever since mobile phones have become used more and more for video consumption and web browsing? The large cell phones also kill a portion of the tablet market. So of course Apple has no interest in cannibalizing it's own iPad sales. Apple and the sheeple are clearly the joke here. Go figure. Buy a iPhone and an iPad instead. Yup, brilliant.
Just because people do not succumb to the lowest common denominator of gadget / tech marketing that "bigger is better" does not make them fanbois or Apple sheeple.

Wanting a bigger iPhone is fine and perfectly legitimate, saying the iPhone 5 is not an amazing product just because it doesn't have a bigger screen is ridiculous. Saying they didn't make one just because they want to line their pockets is ridiculous. Saying Apple developed the Lightning port just for the sake of selling adaptors is ridiculous.

Practically every single component and technology on the iPhone was updated. Cellular, WiFi, screen, processor, camera, speakers, headphones, software, encasing... what wasn't updated? But the "bigger is better" sheep don't like it cause it doesn't have anything gimmicky that looks good on a spec sheet?

It happens more and more as the years go by, after every keynote. People so jaded and cynical they wouldn't recognize amazing technology if it hit them right between the eyes.

The technology that Apple puts into the iPhone blows my mind. I can just sit back and marvel at it. It truly is amazing.

Having to explain it reminds me of having to try to tell someone why the rover landing on Mars was a big deal, or talking to a five year old kid why the grand canyon is not "boring".

It's like all those cynics who mocked the iPod when it came out, mocked the iPhone when it came out, mocked the iPad when it came out. Cynics and critics are a dime a dozen and have probably never created anything worthy or inspiring their entire life, but they try to get their enjoyment and fulfillment out of criticizing.

Again, I'm not saying anything about wanting a bigger screen, most people wanted a slightly bigger screen but not wider... But saying the iPhone 5 is a dud because it doesn't have a much larger screen is ridiculous.
ehMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #66
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 578
ehmax, this is largely because the iphone 5 was so anticipated, and there were so many what-ifs floating around.

Personally I was totally underwhelmed by it. It's still an amazing product, but there really wasn't any wow factor to it. I think sales will reflect that, somewhat.

Given that Apple takes like 30% on in app transactions, they could have developed a payment system that would have wowed people, as one example.

The $30 adaptor that zillions of people have to buy now is just one of the niggling things that makes me hate Apple in so many ways. Every time I buy a Macbook Pro, I have to spend an additional $80 every time the POS power cord gets frayed.

There's nothing dazzling about the new iphone, and certainly faster faster faster ain't enough to get people excited.
imachungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #67
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
Dear RobS,

New members on ehMac who just join the site will have their first 5 posts on the site often flagged by the forum software for manual moderation to avoid the many spam attempts to the site. I was on ehMac from about 10am ET to about 5pm yesterday moderating and posting, and then only really quickly at late night to submit a few posts before going to bed. I'm doing some more moderating at 7:30 AM and approving other moderated posts.

You might want to become a bit more familiar with an online community before you start throwing around slanderous comments about removing posts and what not.
If I may, I belong to lots of boards and have never had my first few posts flagged for moderation, however it makes sense to you. Here's a tip: Put a message in when the user posts to let them know and problem solved.
imachungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #68
peek-a-boo
 
groovetube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,869
I wouldn't call the iphone5 a 'dud'.

However, when I buy a new iphone, I fully expect that it will be faster, updated connectivity, and more amazing electronics in it. Of course it will, it's a new iphone 5!

But beyond these 'expectations', I had a number one feature that I was hoping for.

All this other talk about money grubbibg, cannabilizing ipad sales etc etc, well I don't really agree.

If Samsung is knocking it out of the park with a slightly larger screen, obviously, there's serious demand for that.



groovetube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #69
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 9,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovetube View Post
precisely. I'm not interested in 16:9 movies on my phone either.
But that seems to be what Apple is aiming for with this new aspect ratio.

When held normally, ie vertically, I find the iPhone 5 quite unattractive compared to the iPhone 4 and earlier. Apple should have retained their aspect ratio.

Not only does it look unattractive to me, it also looks as if Apple now copied Samsung - just a bit smaller



As to improvements - yeah, lots of little ones here and there, but the WOW factor is missing, that's what Apple was known for - they are loosing their cutting edge.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #70
Retired Mayor of ehMac
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,264
Send a message via AIM to ehMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by imachungry View Post
ehmax, this is largely because the iphone 5 was so anticipated, and there were so many what-ifs floating around.

Personally I was totally underwhelmed by it. It's still an amazing product, but there really wasn't any wow factor to it. I think sales will reflect that, somewhat.

Given that Apple takes like 30% on in app transactions, they could have developed a payment system that would have wowed people, as one example.

The $30 adaptor that zillions of people have to buy now is just one of the niggling things that makes me hate Apple in so many ways. Every time I buy a Macbook Pro, I have to spend an additional $80 every time the POS power cord gets frayed.

There's nothing dazzling about the new iphone, and certainly faster faster faster ain't enough to get people excited.
Actually, I think this time, they were very few what-ifs, we had a lot of leaks as the the exact size of the screen and details on the new dock connector that was coming.

I disagree that sales will reflect anyone being underwhelmed, I know it will be the best selling iPhone ever.

There's plenty dazzling about the new iPhone, and it certainly isn't just about faster, faster, faster. Thinner design, bigger screen, better battery, better speakers, better headphones, better screen technology, new aluminum back, better camera optics, new software (3D Maps, Passbook, Panorama, Siri sports scores, movies, restaurants, Facebook integration) front facing HD Camera.... And much faster technologies.

Sales wise, the iPhone 5 will be a bonafide hit, but don't take my word for it, we'll see.
ehMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple, iphone 5, keynote, time

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogers iPhone information: activation, data plans, sign-up process, etc. HowEver All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 372 Jun 30th, 2009 11:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!