Forced factory work via Foxconn and the iPhone 5? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Isla Nublar
Posts: 507
Forced factory work via Foxconn and the iPhone 5?

[deleted]
__________________
Finally eaten by a Dilophosaurus.

Last edited by Dennis Nedry; May 16th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.
Dennis Nedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
sudo rm -rf /
 
steviewhy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 535
sudo rm -rf /

Last edited by steviewhy; May 17th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
steviewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
andreww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,788
Funny how whenever these allegations against Foxconn come up, people always blame Apple, even though many other electronics manufacturers use their services. In the referenced article I see no mention from the quoted students of being forced specifically on the iPhone, yet the title specifies that they have been enlisted for the sole purpose of working on the iPhone 5. Me thinks that may be a little bit of journalistic sensationalism to garner attention. Really, if these kids are being used as slave labour, does it really matter if they are making iPhones, XBoxes or PSPs?

My guess is that there is probably another side to the story.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
andreww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nedry View Post
Why is Apple still dealing with this company? I never hear anything good about Foxconn. I was going to say something like "I'd happily pay more for my iPhone if it meant it was built in North America"
-DN
If the iPhone were produced in North America, it would easily be in the $2,000 range. Not going to happen. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to disassociate with Foxconn, but where else are they going to go? What other company's are big enough to handle production of such a large number of devices in short periods of time? There is a reason why Apple, Sony, etc. all continue to use them!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Seriously?
 
Joker Eh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Funny how whenever these allegations against Foxconn come up, people always blame Apple, even though many other electronics manufacturers use their services. In the referenced article I see no mention from the quoted students of being forced specifically on the iPhone, yet the title specifies that they have been enlisted for the sole purpose of working on the iPhone 5. Me thinks that may be a little bit of journalistic sensationalism to garner attention. Really, if these kids are being used as slave labour, does it really matter if they are making iPhones, XBoxes or PSPs?

My guess is that there is probably another side to the story.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
If the iPhone were produced in North America, it would easily be in the $2,000 range. Not going to happen. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to disassociate with Foxconn, but where else are they going to go? What other company's are big enough to handle production of such a large number of devices in short periods of time? There is a reason why Apple, Sony, etc. all continue to use them!
That is not entirely true. That would be like saying if cars were manufactured in China they would be half the price they are now. Nope. The are priced at what the market is willing to pay. Apple has 1 Billion $$$$$ in the bank for a reason, no one donated it to them. To me that says their product is priced really high. I am sure they could cut a quarter of the price off and still be a very successful company maybe more so.
Joker Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Skeptical Mac Collector
 
Strimkind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
If the iPhone were produced in North America, it would easily be in the $2,000 range. Not going to happen. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to disassociate with Foxconn, but where else are they going to go? What other company's are big enough to handle production of such a large number of devices in short periods of time? There is a reason why Apple, Sony, etc. all continue to use them!
Not necessarily true. From what I have read about the manufacturing process in Foxconn plants, there are a lot of workers doing the work manually as they are cheaper than machines. I am sure that if production were moved to North America that Apple, Sony, etc would find a way to automate most of the work to keep costs down.

There also has to be a will to move it away from such manufacturers like Foxconn. It is easier/cheaper to send inspectors and create reports on the improvements at Foxconn then it is to find another solution or build a plant in North America.
__________________
Mac Mini i7 (mid-2011)

Arguably, if it exists in reality, it is realistic
If proof requires certainty, then arguably nothing can ever be proven

David Suzuki Foundation
Strimkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
andreww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,788
Problem is, like it or not, Foxconn is currently the cheapest option. If Apple moved production to America, the plant would have to be dedicated to their product alone. Foxconn is cheaper because they produce for multiple companies and the cost of operation is also differed among multiple companies. If Apple moves, Sony and the like have an advantage. Either they all pull out or none of them do.

As for Apple having a billion in the bank, thats because they run their business smartly. Building quality products and standing behind them with solid customer service for decades tends to pay dividends. Its not because they have their products built at Foxconn.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Seriously?
 
Joker Eh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Problem is, like it or not, Foxconn is currently the cheapest option. If Apple moved production to America, the plant would have to be dedicated to their product alone. Foxconn is cheaper because they produce for multiple companies and the cost of operation is also differed among multiple companies. If Apple moves, Sony and the like have an advantage. Either they all pull out or none of them do.

As for Apple having a billion in the bank, thats because they run their business smartly. Building quality products and standing behind them with solid customer service for decades tends to pay dividends. Its not because they have their products built at Foxconn.
Well we will have to agree to disagree.
Joker Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
As for Apple having a billion in the bank, thats because they run their business smartly. Building quality products and standing behind them with solid customer service for decades tends to pay dividends. Its not because they have their products built at Foxconn.
Try 117 billions in the bank. Rest of your point stands though.
John Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,559
if this is true (and there isn't any real concrete evidence to say it is) then the problem extends beyond foxconn into the entire Chinese system of government. A manufacturer doesn't get to do something like what is being alleged without the approval and co-operation of the government.

But i would take these things with a grain of salt until concrete evidence comes out. there is now (more then ever) parties who have a large stake in damaging the apple brand.

As for Apple moving production to north america, someone posted an article on why that will never happen. It's not just the reduced cost of labour in china, it's that access to the supply chain. Apple would have to move not just their own business interests, but those of all their suppliers to facilitate that sort of change. Which (unfortunately) just isn't going to happen.

Last edited by i-rui; Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
i-rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!