Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Honourable Citizen?

Synching calendars on G5 to Snow Leopard Intel MBP with iCloud

I've been wondering how I was going to do this for some time. My G5 PowerMac won't be replaced by a new Mac Pro anytime soon. I wasn't ready to upgrade the Macbook Pro to Lion due to a few things that I still need Rosetta for. iCloud is only fully functional with Lion -- as well as Win7 and Vista, which seems kinda sucky. Why couldn't Apple have allowed iCloud to be used with SL?

Anyway, I've given up worrying about the synching of my Address Book or any of the other stuff that I synched with MobileMe. But the calendar was the one thing I really wanted to sync up (as well as with my iOS 5 iPod Touch).

I learned today about BusyCal which works very well and runs on PowerPC G5 with Leopard. It also can sync both ways with iCloud. Installed the 30 day trial. I think I like BusyCal better than iCal. It will cost $49.95 when I'm ready to buy it, and from the looks of things I'll be doing that.

I found a Mac OSX Hints posting that describes how to set iCal in Snow Leopard to use iCloud. This isn't supported by Apple so I'm wondering if it could break at some point. When I upgrade the MBP to Lion or Mtn Lion this will no longer be necessary. This will be the band-aid I need until I'm ready to buy new hardware and software, NOT when Apple wants me to.

When I moved MobileMe to iCloud, I lied to Apple and clicked on the button that said my devices were upgraded to Lion. They have a button there that allows you to set up your Mail in Snow Leopard to use iCloud. I don't use my me.com email for anything so I didn't need that.

I followed the instructions and I'm on iCloud. The final step was to setup BusyCal to access the iCloud calendar after making sure the MBP and iPod were functioning. I just booted BusyCal and it found the new CALDav server automatically, no preference tweaking required. That impressed the hell out of me. The Calendar app on my iPod is synched with Snow Leopard iCal and with BusyCal on my G5 PowerMac.

It all just works, despite Apple's best efforts to make my life difficult.

Last edited by GratuitousApplesauce; Jun 3rd, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
GratuitousApplesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen?

I just discovered: BusyCal syncs to do items via iCloud with the Reminders app on iOS5.
GratuitousApplesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Full Citizen

I used to use the google calendar for my business and then shared it with iCal. It was free and very easy to use. Plus I believe you can sync your contacts. My clients thought it was great too.
MixMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

And for other syncing needs you might want to check out:

SyncTogether for Mac - Keep multiple Macs in sync

Download SyncTogether for Mac - Mac-to-Mac syncing capabilities. MacUpdate.com
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote