Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

What pancake lens for the G1?

Think my first lens buy will be one of the pancakes so slim down the camera for motorcycling this summer. Will leave the birding lens for later

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen

14mm/f2.5 - inexpensive (under $200 via eBay), good quality, unbelievably tiny, fast AF
20mm/f1.7 - more expensive and can be hard to find in-stock, excellent quality, merely small rather than tiny, relatively slow AF
Oly 17/f2.8 - can be had quite cheap if you look around. I haven't personally used this lens, but I think it would also be a reasonable choice for you.
...and an off-the-board option, because it's only $69 right now at B&H (after $200 instant rebate): the Panasonic 3D lens. If you have the means to view the images, of course. "Serious" photographers poo-poo this one, but I'll bet it's a lot of fun.

For your purposes, I'd think the 14mm would be the best option, but the other two are worth considering if you find a deal.
iMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

I like tiny and the price. Thanks - rather spend on the birding lens.
These just rely on the big capture surface?

Think there is a market for the stock lens.?

Came across this - is there any potential for this for birding or do I need more.?? thanks

Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Lumix G Vario MEGA OIS Zoom Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras

The comments on the 300 seem to indicate 200-220 is the sweet spot for that lens but it seems the lenses like to perform best at up to 2/3 to 3/4 of the maximum zoom. Is there a reason for that?

••

This is the 300 version reviews and sure do like the photo quality in the thread but I notice he is shooting raw and sharpening - maybe I should try fiddling with that aspect on the current lens to get a feel for it.

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS Lens Field Review

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS Lens Field Review - Page 3 - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

One is available $525 tax in but not in a hurry about it.

Hmmm this price maybe $199 is a good first step

Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Lumix G Vario MEGA OIS Zoom Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras
by Panasonic
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (78 customer reviews) | Like (82)
List Price: $349.95
Price: $199.00
You Save: $150.95 (43%)
In stock on June 1, 2012.

Pulled the trigger on this as a start point for zoom. Almost within my $800 budget for pancake and zoom if I can get a little for the stock G1 lens.

Last edited by MacDoc; May 28th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
MacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Indigent Academic

For birding, 200mm will just make you wish it was longer...... I am forever wishing my 300 was a bit 'longer'.

Sortta like motorcycles - fast being never fast enough......
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Actually I've always been intermediate on bikes as well. I like the agility and handling on the intermediate machines and as long as it can get to 100 mph actual in reasonable time that's my envelope.

Some of the reviews have been raving about the 14-140 compact and they use it for everything.

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Lumix G HD 14-140mm f/4-5.8 zoom lens

at $199 tho I figure the 45-200 will be a cost effective start. I'm nowhere near competent with the camera yet.

Want the pancake for point and shoot situations so I stop carrying the TZ and a longer lens to play with. The 200 image stablization seems good enough for handheld

Good info here..

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Lumix G 45-200mm f/4-5.6

Does not look much longer than the 14-45 that the camera came with - this shows it against the much more expensive 14-140

this is the 200

Last edited by MacDoc; May 29th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
MacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Honourable Citizen

The 45-200 is a good start for a long lens, though admittedly I'm no birder. At $200, it's a good buy. But it is kind of beefy compared to the 45-175.

rgray: what format are you using? Note that this lens is 90-400 in 35mm-equivalent terms...
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Yeah figured that - I think I'll be within 40' or less on most birding which should allow handheld at a moderate zoom.

For waterbirds - I'll likely try a small tripod and see how it goes. Learning curve with a good body should carry me for a couple of years. The Norway -Atlantic Islands cruise in early fall will show off the long lens. I figure to carry the long lens on the mcycle and use the pancake on the camera in my pocket.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
I like tiny and the price. Thanks - rather spend on the birding lens.
These just rely on the big capture surface?
Yes, they use the full sensor area.

Quote:
Think there is a market for the stock lens.?
It can be had for about $100-150 new if you look around (but it's $269 at Vistek... but doubt many people pay that much). IMO it's probably worth more to you as a general-purpose lens, but if you're really not interested in it you could try for $75 on Craigslist and see what happens.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

K - might just keep it around then - if I thought I could get $120 for it might be worth it but I suspect there is a glut of them.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Zoom zoom - low light and not bad

about 30 meters away - sailor Jude says closer to 40

surprised how small it is.