Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Full Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
As suggested, 1 GB RAM is really almost the basic suggested minimum for running Leopard 10.5.x and the absolute minimum just for a basic SL 10.6.x install.

In the interim, try shutting down your Mac, wait 30 seconds of so and boot up using Safe Boot Mode by holding down the shift key until you see the spinning gear wheel.

Then run Disk Utility and repair permissions and verify disk.

If you get pages and pages of repair permissions, do the repair permissions maybe at leat two or thre moormr time.

It may take a while depending on various stuff, and then finally just restart normally and see if things have improved.

Then order and get at least 4GB RAM installed, but that Mac can use 6 GB RAM if you want.

For full specs see: Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

Edit: check out the canadaram site and check his note:
"Macintosh intel MacBook Core2Duo 1.83, 2.0 and 2.16 GHz - MacBook2,1 black and white
Two sockets, can take 1 x 1 Gb + 1 x 2 Gb for 3 Gb total. With 2 x 2 Gb, 3.0 Gb is usable by the OS but you get Dual Channel memory access for a 6% - 8% speed improvement"
Canada RAM sells memory in Canada - Apple MacBook Intel CoreDuo and Core2Duo SantaRosa and Penryn
My Mac shop recommended 4GB RAM and upgrading to Snow Leopard for only $39.

The large issue is my internet speed where I live is about 8 Mbps AT BEST, so is it really worth it considering I'm mostly using Chrome, iTunes, Word simultaneously? Or get a new Mac that's all around faster, LOL.
blackbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Get off my lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
My Mac shop recommended 4GB RAM and upgrading to Snow Leopard for only $39.

The large issue is my internet speed where I live is about 8 Mbps AT BEST, so is it really worth it considering I'm mostly using Chrome, iTunes, Word simultaneously? Or get a new Mac that's all around faster, LOL.
I don't understand the relationship between internet speed and application usage.

Another thing that people here have overlooked is that as hard drives age, they become slower.

A cheap remedy for this is to erase and reinstall the OS, but the better solution is to pick up a new drive (cheap, these days), and switch to that. For many light users, that will provide a more noticeable speed increase than upgrading from 2GB to 4GB of RAM will.

FOR SALE: Thule Crossover Sling Pack for 13" MBP
John Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Full Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
I don't understand the relationship between internet speed and application usage.

Another thing that people here have overlooked is that as hard drives age, they become slower.

A cheap remedy for this is to erase and reinstall the OS, but the better solution is to pick up a new drive (cheap, these days), and switch to that. For many light users, that will provide a more noticeable speed increase than upgrading from 2GB to 4GB of RAM will.
I don't quite know if there's a relationship between RAM and internet speed so that's why I've asked.

HOw much would a hard drive cost approx?
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Get off my lawn!

Quote:
I don't quite know if there's a relationship between RAM and internet speed so that's why I've asked.

HOw much would a hard drive cost approx?
There is no relationship between RAM and internet speed. Akin to saying there's a relationship the speed of a car and the colour of the windshield wiper fluid.

New hard drive would cost anywhere from $50 to $200+, depending on the size/speed you want.

Canada Computers | Notebook Hard Drive, Laptop Hard Drive, Hard Drive & Hard Disk

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Full Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
There is no relationship between RAM and internet speed. Akin to saying there's a relationship the speed of a car and the colour of the windshield wiper fluid.

New hard drive would cost anywhere from $50 to $200+, depending on the size/speed you want.

Canada Computers | Notebook Hard Drive, Laptop Hard Drive, Hard Drive & Hard Disk
LOL, nice analogy though I find it hard to believe a 10 year old computer's performance over the internet would equate a new one.
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Get off my lawn!

Quote:
LOL, nice analogy though I find it hard to believe a 10 year old computer's performance over the internet would equate a new one.
Oh, it doesn't. But there's no relationship between internet speed and computer speed. That's all.

The issues you'll run into are Flash programs, and newer HTML5 sites that require more CPU than your MacBook can deliver.