WinMac Gaming - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
johnb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,052
WinMac Gaming

okay, I've decided to take the plunge and run Windows games on my Mac Pro. I've heard a few things about VMWare Fusion/Parallels, maybe Crossover or Boot Camp. Willing to pay a reasonable amount of money to get this going. So any advice/experience welcomed

thanks

John B
johnb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 68,566
Send a message via AIM to SINC
Cheapest way to accomplish this is to buy a copy of Windows 7 (which you have to do anyway with whatever method you choose) and then install it with Bootcamp, already on your Mac, then download the free Mac drivers and you're done. Any other method adds cost to buy the virtual program. Then don't forget to download AVG free edition or similar to protect your Bootcamp partition against viruses and malware. It should also give you maximum speed with Windows running natively through Bootcamp.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 1.6 million folks have.)
SINC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
dona83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 6,413
Send a message via AIM to dona83
Parallels is apparently faster than Fusion for gaming, but it still lags behind Boot Camp. You can try both and see how it works.
__________________
2009 iMac 20", iPhone 4S for the wife and I, too many iPads

Are you backed up??? If so, why? Psyllium Fibre is not free but will do wonders!
dona83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 18,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
Cheapest way to accomplish this is to buy a copy of Windows 7 (which you have to do anyway with whatever method you choose) and then install it with Bootcamp, already on your Mac, then download the free Mac drivers and you're done. Any other method adds cost to buy the virtual program. Then don't forget to download AVG free edition or similar to protect your Bootcamp partition against viruses and malware. It should also give you maximum speed with Windows running natively through Bootcamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dona83 View Post
Parallels is apparently faster than Fusion for gaming, but it still lags behind Boot Camp. You can try both and see how it works.
This is the most important point. Gaming via virtualization is still sub par by comparison to BootCamp. Personally if you are only going to be using Windows for gaming I wouldn't spend the extra money on Parallels or Fusion as you will be disappointed with the results.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
dona83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 6,413
Send a message via AIM to dona83
Which games are you looking to play anyway?
__________________
2009 iMac 20", iPhone 4S for the wife and I, too many iPads

Are you backed up??? If so, why? Psyllium Fibre is not free but will do wonders!
dona83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
johnb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,052
good question

good question , dona83-system shock 2, Hitman Blood money, maybe even Painkiller....well, Boot Camp it'll have to be, I guess..
now...I'll have to go out and buy a copy of Windows 7-dunno about the difference between 32 and 64 bit, so I guess I'll stick with 64 bit. Thanks for your help, SINC-- free Mac drivers? well, I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Here I was thinkin' that I didn't have to buy a copy of Windows xp or 7, that I could just buy X and run Windows and that'd be it.
Hmmmm.....well, better start savin' my sheckels
John b
johnb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 11,896
Send a message via AIM to chas_m
OS X doesn't come with Windows, so of course you have to buy it.
chas_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM   #8
jey
New Neighbour
 
jey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Bootcamp gives you the most "native" windows experience, speed, graphics etc. I have tried gaming over parallels and fusion (parallels experience was better), but it was still sup par. Alot will depend on your memory and processor.

My vote is Bootcamp. or get Mac verions of game if possible. Oh yeah, you will still need to get Win7 which ever way.

Cheers.
jey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 68,566
Send a message via AIM to SINC
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb1 View Post
good question , dona83-system shock 2, Hitman Blood money, maybe even Painkiller....well, Boot Camp it'll have to be, I guess..
now...I'll have to go out and buy a copy of Windows 7-dunno about the difference between 32 and 64 bit, so I guess I'll stick with 64 bit. Thanks for your help, SINC-- free Mac drivers? well, I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Here I was thinkin' that I didn't have to buy a copy of Windows xp or 7, that I could just buy X and run Windows and that'd be it.
Hmmmm.....well, better start savin' my sheckels
John b
My version of Windows 7 came with two disks, one 64-bit and one 32-bit. As I recall, you are prompted by Apple to download those free drivers during the Bootcamp installation process. The drivers control wireless connectivity and mouse/keyboard controls, etc., etc.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 1.6 million folks have.)
SINC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Perpetually Caffeinated.
 
rampancy_fatalin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 179
If you're willing to give it a try, using Wineskin or CrossOver might work for you, depending on the games you're trying to play. I myself use it for many of the games on GOG.com, and I even have a list of games I've gotten to work well using CrossOver and WINE, too. GOG's version of Painkiller runs great (as long as you're on anything about GMA 950 graphics), as do many other games. I haven't gotten SS2 to work yet, but GOG's copies of Thief 2 runs surprisingly well (Thief 1 is highly unstable).
__________________
<leela.520.681.255.255> is unreachable or inactive (#2271). if
this problem persists contact your system administrator at
admin@thermopylae.com.
rampancy_fatalin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaming on a Mac preformalover Anything Mac 4 Jan 5th, 2011 06:43 AM
gaming system, xbox, mac or pc? MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 45 Oct 14th, 2007 12:45 PM
Gaming Area returns to Macworld with best new games for 2004 ehMax Anything Mac 1 Dec 11th, 2003 12:43 PM
Gaming Area returns to Macworld with best new games for 2004 ehMax Anything Mac 1 Dec 11th, 2003 12:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.



Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!