Compact camera generic clip-on Optical non-electronic Viewfinder??? - Page 2 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Lifetime membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
All I really need or want is some sort of simple aiming device to get at least get close to centering the pre-zoomed set setting for distance shots. Sort of like any of the simple open sights some sport gun sights use should work.

Obviously, they probably wouldn't be too accurate for any real close up shots but probably better than just shooting from the hip.
You could always just jerry rig a golfing distance scope on top of your camera,
Maybe using a dot velcro button. (Male and female type)

That kind of scope is cheap and plentiful to find in most sports stores.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Honourable Citizen

Mounting any sort of optical finder is going to be a PITA without a shoe.

Options as I see 'em:

- if there's enough room on the camera's top plate -- ideally precisely over the centre of the lens -- add a shoe (search for "cold shoe" -- about $15), then add an optical viewfinder (with all the caveats already mentioned about zoom, parallax, etc.). Unfortunately a suitable optical finder may not be as cheap as you'd like. I'd look for a finder almost as wide as my camera's widest setting, but there's nothing stopping you from trying out various lengths
- get a shade for the LCD, assuming your main issue is that the screen is hard-to-see in bright light
- get a loupe, e.g. a Hoodman. This basically covers your LCD with a little tent; you look in through an eyepiece
- trade up to a camera that solves the issue without any further fuss or hacking. My preferred option, but one of the above hacks might work for you.
iMatt is offline   Reply With Quote