Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Member #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpur View Post
What are we keeping that we need to look this far out? I mean none of us are the Smithsonian or a museum.
Personally I'd like to remember loved ones on video, in photos and most of mine are on or have been converted to digital. I suspect my future great-grand children may want to know what their grandmother (my daughter) was like when she was their age/how life was like long ago. So we're talking 70 - 80 years out from here. As long as my health holds up, I'm happy to be the curator of this "museum" for the next 50 - 60 years.

I believe the solution is to move content onto duplicate, differentiated media at different locations as technology, personal budget allows.

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Klingon Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Chimpur Send a message via MSN to Chimpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbro View Post
Personally I'd like to remember loved ones on video, in photos and most of mine are on or have been converted to digital. I suspect my future great-grand children may want to know what their grandmother (my daughter) was like when she was their age/how life was like long ago. So we're talking 70 - 80 years out from here. As long as my health holds up, I'm happy to be the curator of this "museum" for the next 50 - 60 years.

I believe the solution is to move content onto duplicate, differentiated media at different locations as technology, personal budget allows.
Hmmm true. I'm curious. If anyone still has slides, 35mm negatives or mounted slides hanging around; whats the longevity of those mediums? My family has plenty of old pictures that look fine from the 30's up till recent times. Most are in fairly good condition. Some have chunks missing or some have fold lines. (Honestly... what kinda idiot would fold a picture?! Ih wait... that was my family... oh...)
  • iMac G4 17" 1.25GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD
Chimpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Honourable Citizen

Have some Kodachromes slides from the '40s in good to excellent shape. Sadly the Extachromes from that era have completely faded. B&W prints or negs for the most part are in perfect condition.
I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

It's Un-Canadian to oppose a warming trend.
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Klingon Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Chimpur Send a message via MSN to Chimpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMacMan View Post
Have some Kodachromes slides from the '40s in good to excellent shape. Sadly the Extachromes from that era have completely faded. B&W prints or negs for the most part are in perfect condition.
See thats what I'm talking about! Things were once built to last back in the day!
  • iMac G4 17" 1.25GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD
Chimpur is offline   Reply With Quote