Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Cool Dilemmas - what would you have done?

Came across this interesting article and thought it might be fun to post up some real life dilemmas and see what Ehmacians in the situation would have done sitting on the scoop of the century

Quote:
HISTORY
News agency apologizes for firing war reporter over WWII scoop
DAVID B. CARUSO
New York— The Associated Press
Published Friday, May. 04, 2012 8:46AM EDT

In World War II’s final moments in Europe, Associated Press correspondent Edward Kennedy gave his news agency perhaps the biggest scoop in its history. He reported, a full day ahead of the competition, that the Germans had surrendered unconditionally at a former schoolhouse in Reims, France.

For this, he was publicly rebuked by the AP, and then quietly fired.
continues.....

News agency apologizes for firing war reporter over WWII scoop - The Globe and Mail

and the Germans had already announced it......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen

it is hard to say what I would have done? am I the reported or the boss of the AP??? As the reporter, I would have done the same thing as Mr. Kennedy and contacted the AP immediately after hearing the news of the surrender. However, as the boss of the AP, I would like to think that I would have stood behind my reporter and found out why he decided to go ahead and contact me before the "censors" allowed the public to be informed.
iPhone
iPad
iPod
javaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Guess that's not clear in the question but yes it was intended from the reporter's quandary.

Had the German's not broadcast certainly AP might have had a case for firing but to cater to Poppa Joe and hold back info from a world weary of war .......surprised at Eisenhower a bit on that.

I guess too much wartime loose lips discipline to suddenly switch gears when it's over.
I am glad the apology came at least for the family. Must have been a lot of blue over the rival typewriters - what a story to have to sit on.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

it was quite a story for sure and I am surprised, and yet not, that the story was attempted to be withheld from the public
iPhone
iPad
iPod
javaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote