Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #41
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
Well, well, well, it's a miracle. All is fixed. I quit for a while then reinstalled Flash, Java runtime and then zapped Safari with AppZapper, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled Safari. I did that several times over the last couple of days with no success. Difference this time is I used AppZapper and got rid of everything. Incredible, but am I ever glad that is over.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, they were appreciated.
... ...
Glad to hear and I'm glad you didn't waste your time using your Time Machine backup to re-install as there's a good chance it was corrupted as well.

On advantage to having and using a CCC backup, as it's bootable unlike Time Machine and a quick boot from it would show if everything was or was not working before doing any time wasting re-installs.

PS: Thanks for the incredible "Top Secret Drum Corps" video at your site.
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Resident Curmudgeon

Send a message via AIM to SINC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
No offence SINC, but I think it'll be quicker just to launch Firefox if a similar issue arrises in the future....
None taken, but I do not have much use for FF. I much prefer Camino, which is what I was using during the episode.

Besides, I like ALL my browsers to work properly and it bugs me until I get them fixed and running right..
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #43
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Glad to hear and I'm glad you didn't waste your time using your Time Machine backup to re-install as there's a good chance it was corrupted as well.

On advantage to having and using a CCC backup, as it's bootable unlike Time Machine and a quick boot from it would show if everything was or was not working before doing any time wasting re-installs.

PS: Thanks for the incredible "Top Secret Drum Corps" video at your site.
You're most welcome. I keep two daily clones on two separate externals, one in CCC and one in SD besides the TM backup. I take no chances.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #44
Honourable Citizen

Glad there's a happy ending. When I encountered a similar problem recently with images not displaying on my wife's MacBook, I ante'd up and paid the $59 fee to Apple's tech phone diagnostics only to find out within about ten seconds there was a "display images" box unchecked in preferences. The guy on the line felt so bad he waived the fee. God bless Apple. Most of the time.

His: Intel iMac 20" 2.16 / Macbook 2.1 GHz / 8GB iPod Nano / 2GB iPod Nano / iPod Touch / iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4S
Hers: Macbook 2.1 GHz / 4GB iPod Nano / iPhone 4
Kid 1: 4GB iPod Nano / iPad 16WiFi
Kid 2: 4GB iPod Nano/ iPad 16WiFi
Family: iPod Touch / Apple Extreme Router 802.11n / Two Apple Express's w/Airtunes /Two Apple TV's 40GB / Apple TV 2
fjnmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #45
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
You're most welcome. I keep two daily clones on two separate externals, one in CCC and one in SD besides the TM backup. I take no chances.
All well and good as for user data, but a PITA when to OS and its associated files get mucked up, and recovery is almost like the old "Button-button- who's got the button" game as to which clone version actually worked.

At least a "nuke and pave" can be used when the OS is FUBAR and then hope and pray the Migration Assistant works properly.

It's interesting that AppZapper and the re-installs worked and I'm sure you're grateful that they did.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #46
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
All well and good as for user data, but a PITA when to OS and its associated files get mucked up, and recovery is almost like the old "Button-button- who's got the button" game as to which clone version actually worked.

At least a "nuke and pave" can be used when the OS is FUBAR and then hope and pray the Migration Assistant works properly.

It's interesting that AppZapper and the re-installs worked and I'm sure you're grateful that they did.
Actually, BOTH clones work and boot perfectly and are tested every other day. The reason I use two different programs is to lessen the chance that one may fail. One cannot be well enough prepared.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #47
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Actually, BOTH clones work and boot perfectly and are tested every other day. The reason I use two different programs is to lessen the chance that one may fail. One cannot be well enough prepared.

Just curious, but if you booted from your CCC or SD backup clones and if everything worked, including avoiding your latest problem, why you didn't just clone the working version back to your normal boot volume???? Or am I missing something???
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #48
Resident Curmudgeon

If I booted from either clone, both of them failed as well (I update them daily and they contained the same bug as the MPB HD). It took me two days before I realized there was an issue and by then, the clones were done and identical to the HD on the MBP. Simple as that. Even when I tried to restore the Safari app from TM, it too showed the same isse using files from two weeks ago, long before the issue began. I presume that was picked up the minute the old Safari app hit the MBP HD since it only restored the app and not the support files.

Who knows for sure. I am no guru, I just try to take things as they come. I am also tenacious and relentless in pursuing a problem until I beat it, either with the help of the board or by my own hand.