YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

MacPro - something is up

Some good deals floating on the bigger servers showing EOL at Apr 20th

We are not yet seeing the standard machines discounted. If you need a MacPro that can run Snow Leopard better move on it.

You can bet the next round .....if there is one....will not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen

Send a message via ICQ to Chealion Send a message via AIM to Chealion Send a message via MSN to Chealion
Little birdies at NAB were whispering something about June.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen

June timeframe would make sense to me... I'm expecting pretty much the entire Mac line to see refreshes by the time mountain lion comes out this summer (or coinciding with its launch).
iPad2 wi-fi 32GB
iPad Air 128GB
Paul82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Some good deals floating on the bigger servers showing EOL at Apr 20th

We are not yet seeing the standard machines discounted. If you need a MacPro that can run Snow Leopard better move on it.

You can bet the next round .....if there is one....will not.
I can't remember where I saw it in the threads here but I seem to recall seeing posts about how you can actually bypass the limitations of not going backwards and actually wipe out the Lion install and install SL on machines shipped with Lion.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Apple Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
I can't remember where I saw it in the threads here but I seem to recall seeing posts about how you can actually bypass the limitations of not going backwards and actually wipe out the Lion install and install SL on machines shipped with Lion.
Only on machine hardware that originally shipped with SL. Newer post Lion hardware (e.g. latest MacBook Air) SL has no driver support for.
iPad mini 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
Only on machine hardware that originally shipped with SL. Newer post Lion hardware (e.g. latest MacBook Air) SL has no driver support for.
No this isn't what I am talking about... perhaps others here who remember the posts can chime in...

Here is a link I found regarding the matter...

How to install Snow Leopard on a brand-new Lion-based Mac
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Apple Certified

Quote:
No this isn't what I am talking about... perhaps others here who remember the posts can chime in...

Here is a link I found regarding the matter...

How to install Snow Leopard on a brand-new Lion-based Mac
The machine still has to, when it's hardware was originally released, have supported SL. Doesn't matter that it ships with Lion now, that era machine must have been able to support SL. As for the install of SL (on a Lion shipped machine), it's easy I do it once or twice a week.
iPad mini 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen

Perhaps others here who remember the posts can chime in...

At any rate I will be staying on my MP with Snowy for the foreseeable future... I have no need to "upgrade" my OS or overall system right now and when I do it will be with a system that continues to support SL.

Eventually when I do I guess I will have to live with Lion or whatever iteration of Apple OS that is going at the time.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Mac Guru

Quote:
Perhaps others here who remember the posts can chime in...

At any rate I will be staying on my MP with Snowy for the foreseeable future... I have no need to "upgrade" my OS or overall system right now and when I do it will be with a system that continues to support SL.

Eventually when I do I guess I will have to live with Lion or whatever iteration of Apple OS that is going at the time.
A new Mac Pro will not run Snow Leopard - pretty much guaranteed. The 2011 MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac mini units can* because the hardware hadn't changed that dramatically (or at all) between the hardware when they still shipped with Snow Leopard and then later when they shipped with Lion. Throw in Ivy Bridge or other major hardware changes (coming in a new Mac Pro, iMac, etc.) and that SL support will drop entirely.

* The 2011 Mac mini, when downgraded to SL, suffered a performance hit according to several users who did it.
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
A new Mac Pro will not run Snow Leopard - pretty much guaranteed. The 2011 MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac mini units can* because the hardware hadn't changed that dramatically (or at all) between the hardware when they still shipped with Snow Leopard and then later when they shipped with Lion. Throw in Ivy Bridge or other major hardware changes (coming in a new Mac Pro, iMac, etc.) and that SL support will drop entirely.

* The 2011 Mac mini, when downgraded to SL, suffered a performance hit according to several users who did it.
Ok that makes sense Lars...