Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Honourable Citizen

copyright music for slideshows

HI folks,

Has anyone come across the legality of using copyright music in slideshows?

I have a client who wants to use some copyright songs. I've been using royalty free music in past productions.

I know it's a gray area so trying to find some way to purchase licenses etc...

Cheers,
Keebler
keebler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
OpenBSD Developer

I am no copyright expert but if the use is contained within a company or home I don't see an issue. If it was used online or at some public event I would imagine that is where the legal issues would come up.
zen.state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

It's not a gray area at all
The copying of copyrighted music for anything other than personal use is a violation of the copyright.
Which includes distribution with a slideshow or performance to an audience.

To be legal, the client would have to negotiate a license with the copyright holder - you would contact the performing rights organization (or in this case, the mechanical rights organization) that licenses use on behalf of the music publisher/composer. Technically, what you are looking for is a syncronization license, because the music is being used together with visual images in a presentation/movie/television show etc.

CMRRA is the clearinghouse for most publishers in Canada for mechanical rights and synch rights. What is CMRRA?

Also, beware of using a copyrighted work in a context that implies that the artist is giving an endorsement of the client's product/service/position

Last edited by CanadaRAM; Apr 26th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
CanadaRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
It's not a gray area at all
The copying of copyrighted music for anything other than personal use is a violation of the copyright.
Which includes distribution with a slideshow or performance to an audience.

To be legal, the client would have to negotiate a license with the copyright holder - you would contact the performing rights organization that licenses use on behalf of the music publisher/composer. Technically, what you are looking for is a syncronization license, because the music is being used together with visual images in a presentation/movie/television show etc.

What is CMRRA?

Also, beware of using a copyrighted work in a context that implies that the artist is giving an endorsement of the client's product/service/position
Thanks CRam! I'll look into it.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Indigent Academic

deleted

Last edited by rgray; May 21st, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
rgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgray View Post
+10000!!!!! It is theft.
was forwarded some links with great information for anyone else looking for copyright licenses:

The Music Licensing Chickens Have Come Home to Roost in Wedding and Event Videography | Dare Dreamer Magazine

How to Legally Use Music in Your Films and Videos | Dare Dreamer Magazine

Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Full Citizen

as a composer for picture, i'm pretty touchy on this. i find rampant theft everywhere.

if music isn't important, then why do the clients want certain music so badly?

CMRRA is the way to go unless you purchase (and some of the prices are downright reasonable) stock or hire a composer.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
as a composer for picture, i'm pretty touchy on this. i find rampant theft everywhere.

if music isn't important, then why do the clients want certain music so badly?

CMRRA is the way to go unless you purchase (and some of the prices are downright reasonable) stock or hire a composer.
We're leaning stock purchase right now and then I'll investigate the CMRRA route if we can't find anything reasonable. Music is definitely important, but she doesn't have any specific songs picked out yet so I think we'll be able to find something.