Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Actually looks better downsized. What did you use?

FYi all my images are used online - never for printing.
I used PS Elements. First did an overall level correction to get the contrast I liked in the non-underexposed areas. Then used magic wand set to about 30% clicked on a dark area>select similar>Feather 10px, played with the levels on this part of the image to bring out additional detail particularly in the body. Finally deselected and did a sharpen filter on the entire image followed by a sharpen edges.
I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

It's Un-Canadian to oppose a warming trend.
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Resident Curmudgeon

Send a message via AIM to SINC
FYI, I used the Mac Preview set of tools. By far way easier for novices to play with and see what adjustments will do for your image. Pretty basic but with good results for the most part and a surprisingly powerful tool to use. Simply using the slide controls under Tools>Adjust color will give you amazing results.

As a test, try it yourself with your original image. First alter exposure, then contrast, then saturation, then tint and finally a bit of sharpness and you are done in 20 seconds. Beats the snot out of PS for a beginner with very acceptable results.
SINC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #13
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

For reference on cassowaries - whatever reason the video coped with the dim lighting fine and sheen on the feathers and texture on the neck colours shows up - even zoomed as it is toward the end of the clip. Click on the image to play

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

Yeeha - I like the sheen on the feathers and the leaves seem to retain the wetness on them.
Maybe a bit too light around the head area as if there was some information loss.

THe second still shot is blurred in part as the cassowaries head was in motion - he nailed the teddy bear a couple of times with his beak.

I don't quite understand why the video coped with the low light even when zoomed at the end of the first clip.

I've used the preview tools as well on a few shots usually just to sharpen a bit and control the exposure.

Appreciate the efforts guys. Seeing this amazing bird a few feet away was a big thrill - even the staff there had not seen one in three months.
My GF had seen a number on biology field trips and she was the one wagging the finger at me about being careful - read up and found out why