Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Full Citizen

Apple Battery MacBook Pro help...

Hi everyone,

After checking the Apple site, I still don't understand what to do after I receive the new Apple battery for a Macbook Pro 15" later 2009. On the Apple site it just shows how to take the battery out and put the new one in. Is that all there is to it? Do I let the battery drain first without plugging in the Macbook Pro? Or do I have to plug in the MacBook Pro to charge the battery first?

The battery is arriving today from Apple, just trying to figure this last step out.

Thank you
MacGYVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Mac Guru

The battery on a 2009 MBP isn't user-removable, so that has got me stumped. You need a special driver to remove its screws. The last user-removable battery, far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was in a Late 2008 MacBook Pro.
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Full Citizen

oops my mistake Lars. It is a Macbook Pro 15" that has the latch compartment on the back to pull up. Thought it was a late 2009? you're probably correct. The battery looks like a long rectangular and not the square looking one from older models.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Assured Advertiser
Honourable Citizen

You want to calibrate your battery so the internal power monitoring system knows what the capacity of it is

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Q. How do I make my notebook battery last longer? | CanadaRAM: Memory and Computer Q&A
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Full Citizen

Thank you, CanadaRAM.

I wasn't sure if that's what I had to do or not with the links provided in your post.

Now I'm all set.

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
You want to calibrate your battery so the internal power monitoring system knows what the capacity of it is

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Q. How do I make my notebook battery last longer? | CanadaRAM: Memory and Computer Q&A
Is calibration still something you do with the built-in batteries? I seem to be getting conflicting info from Apple's site.

From the link above:

Quote:
Portables with built-in batteries
Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
My Macbook down to 4% and I'm not sure if I should calibrate or not...
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmy View Post
Is calibration still something you do with the built-in batteries? I seem to be getting conflicting info from Apple's site.

From the link above:

My Macbook down to 4% and I'm not sure if I should calibrate or not...

Hmmm... did you not read or understand the info you included with your post?

IE: "Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. "
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Hmmm... did you not read or understand the info you included with your post?

IE: "Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. "
Hmmm... the tone of your response borders on condescending...

Coming 'pre-calibrated' as the article states is unclear. Yes, that would preclude needing to do an initial calibration but logically, 'pre-calibration' won't stay calibrated forever. Thus 're-calibration'.

From this page:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Quote:
Standard Maintenance
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktopís iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
No where does it say a built-in battery doesn't require being 'charged and discharged once a month'.

Ergo conflicting info.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by mrjimmy; Oct 2nd, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Honourable Citizen

Sorry if my reply sounded condescending, and I will admit that Apple's info is a bit confusing on battery maintenance and care.

I guess what they're now saying is that their recent portables now come with their battery pre-calibrated and unlike the earlier models when it was suggested one should pre-calibrated the battery when first getting the portable.

But I thought that some info at that page was a bit strange when they state:
"If you donít plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when itís fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life."

And just how many users would have a portable that they aren't going to use for six months or so???
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen

i see it all the time. people travel, go places for work etc etc etc. laptop goes in the closet for 3 months and comes out with a hooped battery
broad is offline   Reply With Quote