MAIL not working, BELL stumped - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
MAIL not working, BELL stumped

Months ago, my phone started giving me a popup to the effect of;

"password or email address incorrect...IMAP..."

I discovered that turning off WiFi corrected the problem which was good enough a solution at the time.

Jump forward to today, I turned WiFi on. The problem arose again. Turned WiFi off, but this time it didn't correct the problem.

During both instances, I can effectively log on to Gmail using Safari with NO problems.

Actions taken so far;

Restarted

Deleted account attempted to add account

With Bell tried to add account as "other" (instead of "Gmail") using POP

Nothing has worked. I'm now being told to wipe the phone to factory settings and restore.

To do this, after backing the phone up, do I simply hit "restore" in iTunes? or should I go into "settings" on the phone and use "Reset"?

As always, help is greatly appreciated.
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Full Citizen
 
smashedbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 267
A Question,

Are you adding a Sympatico e-mail to your phone or a G-mail?
__________________
Quadra 840AV
Powertower Pro 225 w/Sonnet G3 400 Sonnet
Blueberry iMac 400 DV
G4 Cube w/Sonnet G4 1.2ghz
iMac 17" White C2D 2.0ghz/4gb/160gb
iMac 24" White C2D 2.66ghz/4gb/500gb
Macbook Black 2.4GHZ 4GB 250GB
Macbook Pro 13" i7 2.8GHZ 8GB 500GB
smashedbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedbanana View Post
A Question,

Are you adding a Sympatico e-mail to your phone or a G-mail?
I'm adding a Gmail account. Thanks for getting involved.
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Seriously?
 
Joker Eh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 4,181
Is this the only email account on the 'phone'? Which iPhone (assuming its an iphone)? You up to date with the software?

Is this device jailbroken?

After deleting email account have you tried a hard reboot? Holding down home button and power button at the same time until the phone restarts and shows the apple logo.

Bell won't be able to help you as they can't do anything with Google or Apple. So forget them. Restoring will be the standard answer to everything.
Joker Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Eh View Post
Is this the only email account on the 'phone'? Which iPhone (assuming its an iphone)? You up to date with the software?

Is this device jailbroken?

After deleting email account have you tried a hard reboot? Holding down home button and power button at the same time until the phone restarts and shows the apple logo.

Bell won't be able to help you as they can't do anything with Google or Apple. So forget them. Restoring will be the standard answer to everything.
There is and always has been a second Gmail account on the phone.

It is an iPhone 4

It is NOT Jailbroken

I DID perform a hard reboot (amusingly BELL instructed me to do this using the slider).

And likewise thanks!
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Seriously?
 
Joker Eh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmyuncle View Post
There is and always has been a second Gmail account on the phone.

It is an iPhone 4

It is NOT Jailbroken

I DID perform a hard reboot (amusingly BELL instructed me to do this using the slider).

And likewise thanks!
So what is the other account? How have you determined that the Gmail is the problem? The problem could be your wifi. I have 5 gmail accounts and none have ever had any problem over any connection. If the problem first went away when you turned off wifi then that is where I would start.
Joker Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Eh View Post
So what is the other account? How have you determined that the Gmail is the problem? The problem could be your wifi. I have 5 gmail accounts and none have ever had any problem over any connection. If the problem first went away when you turned off wifi then that is where I would start.

The other account is a second Gmail account which has always worked flawlessly.

WiFi is working well (using it now actually).
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Any thoughts on 'Resetting' through the 'Settings' menu opposed to restoring through iTunes??
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Lifetime membership
 
Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,250
Sounds like a "Keychain" problem,
Try deleting "Sympatico" from your keychain.
You may have to re enter the info later, But hopefully that will fix the corruption.
__________________
Signature deleted for obvious reasons
---------------------------------
MacMagic Game Forum
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 90
Soooo I found the solution.

The problem is common apparently, and involves CAPTCHA.

There is a site (google it) that you visit and you confirm the address and password and fill in a CAPTCHA lol.

Now that said, I visited the site and needed to confirm an "Additional Verification Step" prior to
doing the CAPTCHA. Turns out that this was enough to repair the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the input!!
bobsmyuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mail app with bell? wonderings Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 1 Nov 18th, 2009 10:54 AM
Macbook repair permissions and other issues DDKD726 Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 8 Nov 11th, 2008 01:06 PM
No more PC! Need Mail tips... danaekitty Anything Mac 16 Aug 11th, 2008 08:22 PM
Hell with Bell monokitty Everything Else, eh! 2 Mar 29th, 2008 11:49 PM
Outgoing mail not working diveman All iOS - iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV & iTunes 8 Mar 11th, 2008 12:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.



Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!