Embedded Advertising/ Viral Videos - Page 3 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Honourable Citizen

Give it up, man--that wasn't your original premise.

MacPro, 1,1 3.0 GHZ
Macfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfury View Post
Give it up, man--that wasn't your original premise.
Nothing to give up. I guess this is far too sacred a cow to bring to this market.

Really was intended as food for thought. I was met with 'End Of Story's' and .

IF you all don't think this exists and that Apple is above it I have bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Honourable Citizen

It isn't a sacred cow--it's a lame one.

MacPro, 1,1 3.0 GHZ
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #24
Honourable Citizen

It's hardly a sacred cow and I don't think anyone is doubting that product placement exists or that it's more subtle than it was in the past.

However, in this case, I'd be very surprised if the producers of the documentary received any financial consideration or support from Apple or any of its agencies. Apple's marketing genius is the way that it gets others to do its marketing for it. What other companies have their product launches leading the evening news?

iPod has become a generic trademark in our culture, much like Kleenex, Aspirin and Jell-o, which is why I suspect that the people in the video were using the term.

Another question might be: why was this video on the Toronto Star's website masquerading as news? How different is this from the original question of paid placement? Seems like the producers of the documentary have been able to get some free marketing for their film.
crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #25
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
Another question might be: why was this video on the Toronto Star's website masquerading as news? How different is this from the original question of paid placement? Seems like the producers of the documentary have been able to get some free marketing for their film.
It wasn't--the text below the video describes the source of the clip. Yes, the producers have gotten some free marketing for their film, in the same way that they could do with a press release, photo release or interview about the film.

MacPro, 1,1 3.0 GHZ
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #26
Canadian By Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmy View Post
Conspiracy theory? Hardly.

Product placement is alive and well in the film, television and entertainment industry. Was this produced solely as a viral video to sell iPods? It appears not but I would bet money that there is product placement agreement.

Product placement used to be much more overt, but new advertising strategies employ embedded and/ or viral techniques to sell products.
I certainly can't say if there was a "product placement agreement" here, mrj, but I do agree with you re the reality that the "new advertising strategies" will employ "embedded" techniques to show their product in use.

Paix, mon ami.
13" MacBooK Pro with Retina Display
Paix
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read these books." Mark Twain
Dr.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #27
tilting at windmills

Well, once the film's released we can look at the credits and see if Apple provided any products for promotional consideration or not. Until then, anything we say here is just speculation, no?

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Well, once the film's released we can look at the credits and see if Apple provided any products for promotional consideration or not. Until then, anything we say here is just speculation, no?

Cheers
In a documentary? Sure, scan the credits all you like.

MacPro, 1,1 3.0 GHZ