Hello Canon folks. I've been shooting Canon for 8 years now, and I'm always playing with the various settings they offer and add to new models. Just wondering the following:
- Which Picture Style do you use? Do you use one of the canned ones? Leave it on Standard? Have you created your own? Have you downloaded some good ones?
- Auto Lighting Optimizer: On or Off?
- Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction: On or Off?
- Hightlight Tone Priority: Enable or Disable?
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction: On or Off?
- High ISO Speed Noise Reduction: Off/Low/Standard/Strong?
- Focus/metering control settings?
1. I'm using Standard mostly, but I also have one I made just based on standard with the contrast, saturation and sharpness boosted by one or two.
2. I have ALO off because I find it makes exposure decisions for me and increases the brightness of most photos.
3. I enable the peripheral illumination for the most part, especially on my 15-85mm which has sever vignetting at the long end.
4. I leave Highlight Tone Priority off because it prevents you from using ISO 100.
5. I usually have Long Exp. Noise Reduction off because it increases save time.
6. I have ISO Noise Reduction on Standard. Haven't noticed a heck of a lot of difference between the settings though.
7. I use back button focusing - the * button starts autofocus. The shutter button only meters and takes the shot.
I'm always changing these settings, and most of the time I just want to turn all the extras off and just do everything manually!