I use Gmail for most of my email needs, but the majority of the time I access it via Mail 2.1.1. (OSX 10.4.8/Intel).
For the past few weeks, when I've sent Word attachments from Mail, they appear to Gmail recipients using the webmail interface (and only those recipients, AFAIK) as text files called "noname". Opened in TextEdit, one of these files looks like some kind of binary (or binhex?) rendition of the file, starting with something like this:
Recipients using other mail clients have no such problems: it's only those using gmail's webmail inteface. This does NOT happen with .xls, .pdf or .zip files, so far only .doc sent from Apple Mail. Within the Gmail web interface, I can see .doc files just fine as long as they've been sent by someone other than me.
I've made no deliberate changes to my Mail config, so I'm wondering if something has changed with gmail.
The temporary workaround is to send my attachments from within the webmail interface, but this quickly becomes a PITA when I have more than two or three .docs to attach, which happens frequently.
It's really a pain having to keep track of who's using what platform and/or mail client, but in the end it will be easiest to use "Windows friendly" by default and turn it off in select cases or by request.
The worst thing about the Gmail issue is that I often need to retrieve files from my sent mail when I'm out of the office, and this issue was making my sent mail archive useless via webmail. Fortunately it didn't cause a huge problem in the last couple of weeks, but sooner or later it would have left me up the creek.