Internet Speed Problems...BELL says it's fine...HELP!
During the past week my internet speed has been acting wacky. It sometimes takes over a minute to load a simple webpage, although connecting is never a problem. Three different browsers act the same and it even takes a while to download e-mails.
I contacted Bell yesterday and they say everything is fine on their end but will will "check into it". After a few tests and 45+ minutes on the phone the tech guy says I may have a bad network card I have an iMac G5 by the way. He said the techs would call me back but never did, surprise surprise.
Here's the thing... I did several online speed tests and my download speeds are good, always over the 2MB/sec. But, my upload speeds are practically non existent with speeds hovering between 5 and 30 kbps. It seems to me the upload speeds were much higher before, like in the 100's.
I also went into "Network Utilities" and did a few "pings" and find that my packet loss is 20-40%. I don't know enough about this end of things but that seems a bit odd to me.
Does anyone have any ideas what my problem is? Is my ethernet port/logic board (or whatever) on my iMac screwed or is there a problem with the Bell line.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
BTW, I did all the standard things like repairing permissions, clearing caches, restarts, running utilities like Onyx, MacJanitor, etc.
iMac 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo - 15GB 3G iPod - Fun Fun Fun!
"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."
If unpluging the router doesn't work, try the following:
Open up a terminal and type:
Then if it's still slow (after a reboot), do the following:
Open up a termianl and type:
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
inet 172.16.1.103 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.1.255
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect
You should see something like above, but it will probably say en0 since you are using your built-in ethernet adapter. You want to look for the mtu packets. I would think that since you are plugged right into the high speed modem, the mtu would read 1496 (or somewhere along those lines), but it could be 1500
are you having any problems connecting to different sites? What version of OS are you running? 10.3 or 10.4?
If you are seeing 20-40% packet loss there's a line problem almost without a doubt. Have you tried a new ethernet cable from your iMac to the DSL router?
I wouldn't suggest messing with the MTU unless you _really_ know what you are doing though If you're using the PPPoE settings in the network control panel that all shoudl be taken care of for you anyway.
Upload speeds of 5-30k/sec are considered pretty normal on most DSL connections from Bell, I think you may be wron that you used to get 100k/s (that's an _extremely_ high rate for residential DSL -- I don't think Bell offers that speed for upstread at all in fact).
DJM, you are not alone. I can name at least a dozen other people in my area that have the same problem over Bell Sympatico High Speed. Generally, resetting your Bell modem (most are Slipstream I think, and can be done by unplugging it from power for 10 seconds) does the trick to getting it faster for a while. However, as is the case with one person I know, the problem hasn't gone away. You probably have noticed that the downloads speeds are normal, just retrieving the web page has a lag before it loads (and after the lag, it loads instantly). If this makes you feel better, I know two Linux users that have the same problem.