The large preview has gone missing on all my PSDs in Tiger:
for a screen shot.
The tiny and small ones are there, but for the large preview I get a white box with text (in 4 languages) that says "This layered Photoshop image was not saved with a composite image". If I click and drag the large preview in the Get Info box I get a ghost of the file preview, so it's like it's there somewhere, but won't show up. Also, I get the proper thumbnails in icon view.
The strange thing is, these very same files work fine on my Powerbook (running 10.3), so it seems to be a Finder issue and not a Photoshop issue. The large previews for JPGs and PDFs seem to show up in the Finder just fine, so maybe I'm missing something?
This was happening under 10.4.1 and I've been hoping 10.4.2 would magically fix it (it didn't).
Things I have already tried:
- Triple checked Photoshop preferences to make sure it is always saving all sizes of image previews, both Mac and PC. I also made sure that the "Maximize PSD and PSB Compatability" is set to "Always"
- Repaired permissions (many times)
- Ran Onyx
- Ran the Finder Cleaner in Tiger Cache Cleaner
- Ran Tiger Cache Cleaner (deep clean)
- Searched Apple Forums repeatedly in for answers (searches with "preview"). No luck
- Cursed at the computer (many times)
Here's what I've noticed: It ONLY HAPPENS TO LAYERED .PSD or .TIFF FILES WITH ALPHA CHANNELS, and since many of us would like to save our files including alpha channels, deleting them before saving is not an option.