Hi. I'm having an unfortunately not consistent problem with Appleworks, and with Appleworks files. I have two machines, a desktop and an iBook, and have 10.3 and Appleworks on both. Sometimes, but not all the time, the iBook will refuse to read the Appleworks files on the desktop as Appleworks format. Instead, they look like this: Info tells me that they are Unix executable files. I can force Appleworks to open them, but that requires going through the finder, and is a pain in the butt. Copying the files over to the iBook does not solve the problem, they still appear the same way. I have been unable to determine why the problem is goes away some times. Any idea why this happens?
As a possibly related issue, Appleworks on the iBook seems to automagically connect to the desktop if airport is on, as if it were needing to access the desktop to run. If airport is not active, everything works fine, though.
Are you sure you are opening the actual file and not the invisible that goes with the file. I know if I take a disk from my Mac to a PC there are extra file with _! at the beginning of the file they won't open but the files without those open fine. Maybe you are getting something like that. I am assuming they have something to do with the unix undercoding and file management in OS X.
PB G3 Bronze 333, Performa 580CD, Classic B&W(somewhere in the basement)
The easiest way I can figure.. is "Get Info" by right clicking/Control-Clicking, go to the "Open With" section and then changing the way your iBook opens these files. Make sure you select the option to change "all" files to open this way.
Tried reassigning the files to be opened by Appleworks, and nothing happened. Nothing at all. It didn't work, but I didn't get an error message, either. Also, I noticed some new oddness. As mentioned, opening appleworks on the iBook causes the desktop HD to be connected to automagically. Interestingly, if I already have that connection active, a second one is made when I start Appleworks.
This is starting to sound like time for a fresh system install, unless someone has ideas. Which I dearly hope they do.
That does work. There are hundreds of files involved, though. Although I suppose I can change them one at a time, as I use each one. Not sure if that is easier than a system reinstall, though.
There are also ways to rename files in batches. I don't know what the current utilities are but some poking around Versiontracker.com should yield some, or googling (or searching this forum) should turn up a command-line method. One caveat: make sure you restrict your files and subsequent operations to a very specific folder, or you may rename files that legitimately don't have that extension.