This is so stressing me out.
Couple of things to cover:
-iMac G3 500, 10.3.8, software totally up-to-date
- iTunes 4.7.1
- old 3rd gen 30GB iPod. V2.2
- replacement or "new" 3rd gen 30GB iPod, V2.2
- only connect iPod via firewire cord (not dock, no daisy chain)
Four months ago, my old 30GB iPod started to die (battery) and I knew I'd be replacing it soon. Right around iTunes 4.7.1, all hell broke loose.
The old iPod:
- wouldn't mount all the time
- when it did mount, the activity monitor showed that both iTunes and Finder froze - this happen 85% of the time. I had to reset the iPod to release it.
- the iPod would mount on my desktop similar to a DMG file that's "unpacked" - (See the attached picture.) That sort of white boxy icon. I could never get that boxy icon to dismount. Force quiting iTunes and Finder did nothing.
To fix the issue with old 30GB iPod, I:
- repaired permissions on iMac, checked iMac hard drive with disk utility
- threw out all my preferences for iPod, iTunes, Finder
- Onyx'd the iMac
- started up a new account and attached iPod
- used disk utility to repair the iPod (always had an error)
- used iPod updater to format the iPod (3x)
- tried using the other firewire port
Nothing worked - issues stayed the same.
I called Apple and paid to have the battery replaced. They just shipped me a sparkling, brand new, *virgin* 3rd generation, 30GB iPod.
I know I have to fully charge the battery before using the iPod updater, moving music, etc., so I attached the replacement iPod using the firewire cord: it mounted, appeared as that white boxy icon and iTunes launched.
Fortunately I was easily able to quit iTunes and dismount the iPod.
So now I have a couple of hours before the replacement iPod is fully charged and I can start using it. I'm terrified that I may damage it if it goes back to freezing the Finder and iTunes.
My first step is going to be using the iPod updater for bring the replacement up to V2.3. I'll go from there. I have a 90 day warranty from Apple, so I may end up calling them as well.
1) Does the fact that the iPod appears as that strange icon mean anything?
2) Could my firewire cord be causing these issues?
3) Does anyone have some advice?