Does your home have carbon monoxide detectors? It may be a worthwhile investment. An entire family in Northern Ontario died of carbon monoxide poison in their own home -- the last family member, an OPP officer, died today. Her husband and 2 children died earlier last week after being found unconscious in their home.
It's the law in Toronto. Have had one for years. I was horrified by a story involving a man in the U.S. who turned his off after he felt it had been malfunctioning--he heard the alarm but didn't believe there was any CO in the house. KIlled his family the same day.
"My life is my own."
WARNING: If you see links to ads in the above post, blame the ad-linking software used by the owners of this website. I do not endorse these links. Don't click on them.
We have them in the basement (where the furnace is) and on the second floor outside the bedrooms. In MA where we used to live, you cannot sell a house without getting a certificate from the local fire department that says that they've inspected them. And you have to have them on every level.
PLACEMENT OF CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS IMPORTANT
Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection.
Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.
When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.
For this reason, the makers of First Alert (R), the leading brand in carbon monoxide detector technology, suggests mounting the detector on the ceiling. This also puts the detector out of the way of potential interference, such as pets or curious children.