Anybody Know Anything About This Mac Users Site???
First I'd like to say that this is not a thread about looking for advice to get the "green light" with regards to using a site that appears to be a piracy haven for Mac users. Rather I was simply surprised to find the site and even more surprised that it takes "walk in" members which has me curious about it's credibility. Usually sites like it are private and require "invites" to become members (after recruiting their initial members) or at least that's been my experience or lack there of (I was once offered an invite to a private site but declined - seemed overkill for my needs).
I've already signed on as a member to see how far I can go before committing to anything. I do this at a lot of sites in attempt to get an insiders view of what goes on and what these places have to offer. Maybe it's similar to those who travel and prefer taking the paths less travelled?
Anyway the site is called [wares site removed]. Seems fairly obvious what it's about and there's a few hoops they want you to jump through before you get full access. I'm not too sure if I want to jump through them - I already use Xtorrent for what I want without complaint. Therefore, I thought I could get a "tour guides" preview before venturing further by seeing if anyone here has used the site and what their experience has been.
Initially I PM'ed a couple members for their possible insight but no info resulted. With a little trepidation (I know there's a strong anti-torrent segment of the pop. here) I decided to post this on the open forum. Who knows, like the info presented by members in my thread about getting "free internet" via someone else's wireless router there be some good heads up advice about what a person should consider before engaging in a site such as this. By bringing it out in the open we're like Oprah
Last edited by Heart; Apr 23rd, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Reason: wares site removed
Kind of like the Red Light District. Wear protection.
This is only one of about a thousand sites like it.
If you register they can track you, the digital trail as it were.
Edit via forum Rules:
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
ehMac sets out to be a positive online community for Canadian Mac users to discuss all things Mac. Once you register, you become a "New Neighbour" where you may begin participating in various forums and areas on the community such as "Anything Mac" and the "Trading Post" etc... After a certain level of involvement (30 posts), you automatically graduate to becoming a "Full ehMac Citizen". ehMac Citizens are encouraged to be a positive force in the community. ehMax, the community Mayor, frowns upon citizens who are extremely negative. ehMax may edit messages that contain offensive material. The mayor does really enjoy civil debates and lively discussions however! There's really just one main rule at ehMac: Be Nice!
Considering the real-time nature of ehMac, it is impossible for us to review every message or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the content of every posted message and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for, or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of ehMac or any entity associated with ehMac. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use ehMac to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by ehMac.
Software sold in the "Trading Post" must comply with the software's licence agreement. Questionable posts will be removed.
Although ehMac does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at ehMac reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless ehMac, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at ehMac also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. Please note that commercial advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are prohibited unless approved by ehMac.
1. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN, THE SITE (INCLUDING ALL CONTENT, SOFTWARE, FUNCTIONS, MATERIALS AND INFORMATION MADE AVAILABLE THEREON OR ACCESSED BY MEANS THEREOF) ARE PROVIDED AS IS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, COMPATABILITY, SECURITY, ACCURACY, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, EHMAC MAKES NO WARRANTIES AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE USE OF THE SITE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE BY EHMAC. EHMAC DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT THE SITE WILL MEET ANY PARTICULAR CRITERIA OF PERFORMANCE OR QUALITY, OR THAT THE SITE, INCLUDING FORUMS OR THE SERVER(S) ON WHICH THE SITE IS OPERATED, ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
2. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK OF LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR DOWNLOADING AND/OR USE OF FILES, INFORMATION, COMMUNICATIONS, CONTENT, OR OTHER MATERIAL (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION SOFTWARE) ACCESSED THROUGH OR OBTAINED BY MEANS OF THE SITE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL EHMAC OR ANY PROVIDER OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS OR NETWORK SERVICES FOR EHMAC OR AFFILIATES, BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT ARE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATED TO THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE, EVEN IF EHMAC, AFFILIATES, OR THEIR PROVIDERS OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS OR NETWORK SERVICES HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU HEREBY RELEASE EHMAC AND THE AFFILIATES FROM ANY AND ALL OBLIGATIONS, LIABILITIES AND CLAIMS IN EXCESS OF THIS LIMITATION.
1. Stealing Mac software hurts Mac developers. The Mac may be "hot" right at the moment, but it's still only 6% marketshare. If developers feel that piracy is as widespread on the Mac as it is on the PC, they will not develop for the platform and our parity with Windows will slip further behind. Or do you want running Parallels/Boot Camp to be mandatory rather than an option?
2. Given the stupidly low price of most Mac programs, most songs and most movies (through iTunes), unless you can bt this stuff in five minutes, it's actually economically smarter to just buy the stuff. Assuming you're not a pizza delivery boy living in your parents' basement, chances are that the time it takes you to earn, say, $20 (for a DVD) beats the amount of time it takes to steal one by about 10:1 or so. Plus you get a shiny thing.
3. This should not be interpreted as a sweeping condemnation of either P2P or filesharing in general.