rogers home phone - anyone buying it? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
thatcomputerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London, ON
Posts: 375
rogers home phone - anyone buying it?

we had a rogers rep around our door last night pushing the virtues of the new rogers home phone service. sounds good in some ways, because hey - a little friendly competition for ma bell would be a good thing. but i'm not digging the 2 year contract crap, and the need for a "phone box" (not sure what they are calling it) on my line that requires hydro to work. great when the power goes out. sure it's got a battery in it, but after 6 hours when that dies you're screwed. and if anyone is lucky enough to only have power outages less than 6 hours in this country i'd be amazed.

so the question is - anyone going for it?

me
fence
__________________
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

2ghz core2duo MacBook BLACK w/ 3gig ram, g4 ibook 1.2ghz w/1.25 gig ram, g3 ibook 600mhz, g3 clamshell ibook, imac dv 400mhz, ipod mini 2nd gen & iTouch 8 gig (my wife's really), 2gig ipod nano (my daughter's really), 512meg iPod shuffle (my other daughter's really) and a really well used iPhone 3G
thatcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
RicktheChemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,642
.

Last edited by RicktheChemist; Sep 24th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
RicktheChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Full Citizen
 
thatcomputerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London, ON
Posts: 375
i think we're talking about a different service. this one doesn't need the router/cable modem nor a high speed connection. it comes in over the tv cable from my understanding, and is then put through the little bos and connected to your regular phone jacks and wiring in the house. it's not supposed to VoIP, according to rogers.com
__________________
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

2ghz core2duo MacBook BLACK w/ 3gig ram, g4 ibook 1.2ghz w/1.25 gig ram, g3 ibook 600mhz, g3 clamshell ibook, imac dv 400mhz, ipod mini 2nd gen & iTouch 8 gig (my wife's really), 2gig ipod nano (my daughter's really), 512meg iPod shuffle (my other daughter's really) and a really well used iPhone 3G
thatcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #4
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcomputerguy
i think we're talking about a different service. this one doesn't need the router/cable modem nor a high speed connection. it comes in over the tv cable from my understanding, and is then put through the little bos and connected to your regular phone jacks and wiring in the house. it's not supposed to VoIP, according to rogers.com
It would be interesting to know how they transmit the voice over the tv cable. as far as I know tha's still VoIP, just not over the public internet.
There a lot of pretty good VoIP services using private networks - Rogers, on their webpage equate VoIP with public internet services which is not correct.

In my mind, the issue is reliability, quality and price.
My cable for instance goes out a lot more than my phone line. I lose cable service at least three or four times a year, my phone line only went out once in the last 45 years. reliability is also the reason I went with DSL rather than cable for the high speed internet connection so I won't miss that super deal on ebay

And assuming reliability is not an issue and the quality of the voice connection equals what you get with Bell, I would expect to see at least a 10% or better saving before I would consider switching.
Bell's bundle with the $5.00 essentially unlimited (for my use at least) long distance to Canada and the US makes their service a lot cheaper than any competitive prices I have seen.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
iPetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 1,779
Send a message via AIM to iPetie Send a message via MSN to iPetie
We have Vonage here and from a price savings perspective, it is worth any minor web or cable related annoyances. I think Rogers, Shaw and Cogeco have missed the boat here. They should have saved the infrastructure costs and gone the same route as AT&T, Vonage and Yak.

As it stands now, they are offering a slightly less reliable product for around the same price.

We have every feature known to telephony and no limit on NA Long distance. We have a 416 area code, even though we are 905, which saves most of our freinds and Family a toll.
$40 a month. With Bell or Rogers, in this house it would cost more than $100.
__________________
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort".
Herm Albright
iPetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6
Full Citizen
 
depmode101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: toronto, ontario
Posts: 469
Quote:
great when the power goes out. sure it's got a battery in it, but after 6 hours when that dies you're screwed.
the phone box that has the battery back up is good for 6 hours - this would be long enough for the rogers techs to get out to the local hubs and start up generators that would power the cable line including your phone connection so you shouldnt have any phone line loss.

the reason they settled on the 6 hour battery back up as being sufficent was because the hydro companies said that 99% of power outages are restored within 4 hours.
__________________
G5 iMac 1.8GHZ, 1GB ram, 160GB HD &<br />& 5th Gen 60GB iPod video
depmode101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #7
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetie
We have Vonage here and from a price savings perspective, it is worth any minor web or cable related annoyances. I think Rogers, Shaw and Cogeco have missed the boat here. They should have saved the infrastructure costs and gone the same route as AT&T, Vonage and Yak.

As it stands now, they are offering a slightly less reliable product for around the same price.

We have every feature known to telephony and no limit on NA Long distance. We have a 416 area code, even though we are 905, which saves most of our freinds and Family a toll.
$40 a month. With Bell or Rogers, in this house it would cost more than $100.
I looked at Vonage a few weeks ago but it seemed more expensive than what I have now with Bell.
This certainly depends on your calling pattern, but perhaps their website is a bit confusing as well. The way I read it is that you require a high speed internet connection. the cheapest I can think of is naked DSL at around $10 per month which you would have to add to the Vonage bill or is that DSL connection included in their package?
What I never realized before (until your post) is that one can pick a different area code than the one where you're located. That sounds intriguing, so if I live in Toronto, I could pick 514, Montreal. Would that mean all my calls to and from Montreal are now local but my calls to and from Toronto are long distance?
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
iPetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 1,779
Send a message via AIM to iPetie Send a message via MSN to iPetie
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
I looked at Vonage a few weeks ago but it seemed more expensive than what I have now with Bell.
This certainly depends on your calling pattern, but perhaps their website is a bit confusing as well. The way I read it is that you require a high speed internet connection. the cheapest I can think of is naked DSL at around $10 per month which you would have to add to the Vonage bill or is that DSL connection included in their package?
What I never realized before (until your post) is that one can pick a different area code than the one where you're located. That sounds intriguing, so if I live in Toronto, I could pick 514, Montreal. Would that mean all my calls to and from Montreal are now local but my calls to and from Toronto are long distance?
Yes, but you can also add a virtual number for Montreal for $7.99 a month and have 2 numbers. Or one in Calgary, Mtl, Van and Toronto. See Virtual Numbers Here
We already had high speed, so the net for us was to cancel Bell and our LD plan. Bell with 2 services was $42 a month and our LD was running $30 a month minimum.
__________________
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort".
Herm Albright
iPetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #9
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetie
Yes, but you can also add a virtual number for Montreal for $7.99 a month and have 2 numbers.
is this with Bell or Vonage?
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
iPetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 1,779
Send a message via AIM to iPetie Send a message via MSN to iPetie
I edited my post above and added a link!
__________________
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort".
Herm Albright
iPetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogers' Firefly Bell seek and find Ottawaman Everything Else, eh! 19 Aug 13th, 2005 03:48 PM
Rogers Home Phone Service Launched Ohenri Everything Else, eh! 7 Jul 3rd, 2005 12:33 AM
100th post so I'm buying a phone!!!!! seetobylive Anything Mac 1 Feb 26th, 2005 08:31 AM
Rogers Phone as a modem benz862 Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 3 Feb 18th, 2005 10:54 PM
A great cell phone plan available @ ROGERS mkurtes Everything Else, eh! 13 Sep 9th, 2004 08:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.



Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!