The UK has recently celebrated 50 years of singles charts by providing a pretty good 3 hour countdown on TV tonight. No surprises in letting you know that the Beatles took the lion's share, but here are few things that I am sure you did not know:
- Imagine only makes it to No.27, squarely beaten by Sweden's Aqua (I'm a Barbie Girl) at No.17... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
- Frankie Goes to Hollywood was a working class English band (builder, electrician, etc.) that had two No.1s in the top 100. 'Relax' is actually in the top 10.
- Boney M is the only band to have (i) the male black lead dubbed by a blonde German with rather a strong accent and (ii) TWO No.1s in the top 10! a schmaltzy Christmas number and Rivers of Babylon which is actually a church song. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
- The Beatles do not have the top spot. The highest Liverpool act is McCartney at No.4 with Mull of Kintyre.
- No.3: Bohemian Rapsody (party-on Garth)
- No.2: Band Aid (about 2million copies and $60m raised... some way to go ehMax...
- No1: with almost 5MILLION singles is ---
Elton John - Candle in the wind. Most sales after Diana's death, all profits to charity. Nice one [img]graemlins/greedy.gif[/img]
What's your top 10?