Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Your Rogers TV service needs to be upgraded. Look inside

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  macintosh doctor 
#1 ·
That was written on the envelope that I received, inside was a letter saying that I can no longer watch TV directly connected to the cable outlet with one of my TVs in my home BUT they will give me a free digital box..

They must of used the word free about 40 times in the letter.
Then it said go online to get your free box..
I did.. thats where the word free vanished and $40 fee came in. LOL

So much for choice.. either I upgraded for free which is really $40 or I can not watch TV in my kitchen any more.

I feel like calling the supervisor in retention dept. and saying I want the absolutely free digital box - no monthly fee, no charge - free.. [ if they say $40 - i will say but your letter had the word free on it $40 times ]....

#2 ·
Reminds me of the CAA notice I received recently. I could get such and such a service and they would knock an additional $12.95 (or something) off it if I registered online. When I went to register online, at the last minute they added $12.95 to the bill as an Internet enrollment convenience fee, then removed it to leave the amount exactly the same. I aborted the enrollment right there.

#16 ·
Yes, like Napster did with digital music, Bitorrent has let the genie out of the bottle for video content, and there's no putting it back. Apple did the right thing with the iTMS, making content available for reasonable prices, legally and conveniently, and proved that people are willing to pay even when we could get content for free, along as we don't have to accept a lot of undesirable compromises (like buying whole CDs for one decent track, or accepting a cable bundle with a bunch of channels we don't watch).

It looks like Apple is trying to position itself there again with the appleTV, but NetFlix and others are going to make it an interesting race. But regardless, the days of the cable monopoly are finally nearing an end.

I've been without cable since 1987 and have never missed it, but I'm seriously considering buying an appleTV in order to make accessing the few shows I watch easy and legal.

#17 ·
The problem is there are 2 types of customers. One who want to own content, and another that only want subscription services. I fall into the second category, especially with TV shows witch I am not likely to re-watch. I got rid of a ton of my physical media a long time ago and love not having to store it all. Netflix is ideal for me, and it seems to be for a lot of other people I know as well. I think Apple needs to focus on that market as well.

#21 ·
Agreed with MF - it ain't the channels, it's the content they supply. The whole channel idea is dead, methinks. The odious practise of cable providing carefully-crafted bundles has always been a boon for the cable companies and a giant paint in the butt for the end consumer.

#22 ·
A bit off topic, but not by much. I had occasion to call Bell Satellite TV yesterday (needed a receiver flashed) and as usual the tech reps are forced to try and sell you movies. (I have no movie channels with Bell) I told them I had Netflix for eight bucks a month and loved it. They said, "Oh, we have a competitive service now just like Netflix. Then they started, for $10 a month you can get all the Superchannel channels or for $7 a month you can get all the Movie Central channels and for $15 a month you can . . ."

That's when I stopped her cold and said, Listen, tell your bosses that they still just don't get it. That's not like Netflix, that's still charging by packages, ripping off consumers and comes to over $50 a month for the whole thing. Tell them when they offer it all for $10 a month, I'l sign on for a lifetime. Until then, I'm afraid they will have to wallow in their pool of greed and continue to miss more opportunities that could triple or more their customer base in a heartbeat. Your glory days are over. Suck it up and change your business plan or go out of business.

#25 ·
If it weren't for people's need to watch live sports, I bet the cable companies would be taking a huge hit at this point. There are reliable ways to get pretty much all other content now except live sports, and a lot consider their sports essential and pay for huge cable plans just for that.

As far as my immediate social circle, every person I know who doesn't require sports has 'cut the cord'. We did it 5 years ago, and started using the Apple TV2 for Netflix a couple of years ago. That setup has graduated to a running XBMC and a VPN to get the US Netflix. When a few people saw our setup and how easy it was, they immediately adopted similar setups. They spread the word and more friends did the same. Some have supplemented with an antenna as well.

#26 ·
Wait... The leter said free, and I just got it.

I just ordered 2 boxes for 2/4 tvs we own that aren't digital.

I never saw anything about $40 or any fee or anything...
Wait till you get your bill.. it forced you to go online then asks how many boxes you need.
then once you selected it showed the $40...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.