Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

YouTube dashcam crash: Driver charged with fraud and mischief

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jamesB 
#1 ·
Sometime justice just works. Thought of doing the same thing and adding a camera on dash myself because I have had it happen to me, someone asking for me to pay. Told them to go to accident reporting centre and insurance and never heard from them.

Toronto News: YouTube dashcam crash: Driver charged with fraud and mischief - thestar.com

An Ajax man has been charged with fraud after police investigated a fender-bender caught on camera last month.

The investigation was sparked following an incident on Feb. 9 on Hwy. 401 in Toronto. Ajax resident Ragurub Yogarajah and Mississauga resident Herman Sham were in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic at around 4:20 p.m. when their vehicles bumped, police said.

The incident was captured on a dashboard camera and shown on YouTube for the world to see, including police, revealing Yogarajah's black Honda Acura rolled back and bumped Sham’s Subaru.

“That doesn't happen,” said Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Dave Woodford. “You get two different stories, is usually what happens. And I guess it surprised the gentleman that it was recorded.”

Sham, 24, a photography student, had recorded the fender-bender on his car's dashboard camera and uploaded the video to YouTube, calling it “The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled).” In the video, he added bubble captions alleging Yogarajah demanded $500 on the spot to pay for the damage.

“Please be aware of these fake accident(s),” Sham wrote online.

Yogarajah became frustrated at the scene, he told the Star at the time, because Sham insisted he had reversed on purpose. So Yogarajah called police himself.

Yogarajah told the Star it was a genuine mistake and said he was worried for his family’s safety since YouTube commenters started posting his personal information online.

“I work two jobs,” he said. “I don’t need to go scamming for $500 to live my life.”

On March 2, OPP charged Yogarajah with fraud over $5,000, public mischief and attempted fraud. Woodford said the fraud charge resulted from an insurance claim being made after the incident.

“The public mischief is he reported it to the police differently than what actually occurred,” said Woodford.

Yogarajah was released on a promise to appear for a court date in Toronto.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#2 ·
Instant karma. Or car-ma.

#3 ·
Yep. I once T-boned a guy who came screaming through a mature red light. After rescuing him from his accordioned car, I called for help and then police officers were treated to his story of how I had driven through a red light to hit him. Thankfully one eye witness remained at the scene--the rest buggered off and refused to give me their names or contact info.

#4 ·
I also T-boned a car which was running a red light, my witness and saving grace was the cop car he would have collided with if I hadn't intervened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.