Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Raspberry Pi

823 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul82 
#1 ·
I get a phone call from the MIL asking if my 7 year old would like Raspberry Pi for his birthday. I have no idea what she is talking about. She's in the UK and Feb 28 apparently a new computer for kids launched, Raspberry Pi for $35 (22 BPS), inventory sold out in 10 minutes.

I did some digging and it looks like the concept is out of TO's Seneca College but it's been adopted by Univ. of Cambridge in the UK. Anyone heard or know anything about the Raspberry Pi. I believe it's just an open board - how does it work? Does it plug into the USB of a PC/Mac or do you need a monitor, keyboard etc? All I know is it's developed to helk kids learn to program and my son wants one.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Thx, I read quickly some releases on it yesterday and didn't have time to get to the wiki site et al (probably should check there first next time). By the sounds of it I'm not sure if it will hold my son's interest. He's used to his iPod Touch, iPads, Wii & he has my old G5 (though he's annoyed we can't get the current Flash version so some sites won't run). Occasionally he dabbles on my macBook and a special treat he can sometimes use my 27" i7. Not sure Raspberry Pi will meet his expectations unless he wants to learn to program and I can't help him there.

#5 ·
Yea, while it is being promoted to help kids learn to program, the real use for it from what I can see and the reason stock sold out in 10 min is using it to playback media on a television. From what I've read it can do AirPlay, and while I'm not certain it should be relatively easy to get xbmc running on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.