Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Looking for a hand held GPS, what are you using?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  RicktheChemist 
#1 ·
Good evening all, I was wandering if anybody here has experience with held held GPS's?
I currently own a Magellan gps315, about 10 years old. I would like to update to a newer and more sensitive antenna. I like things as simple as possible without complicated menus to get to the basic stuff. I hunt, hike and camp and would like to do casual geocaching. I am currently looking at the Garmin 20 or the Magellan explorist 310. Both units are below $200.00. Obviously should be Mac compatible.
Any opinions would be helpful.
Thanks and have a good evening.

Guy.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know where you hunt or what, but a couple of us are currently looking at the Garmin Rino series for the fall hunt because of the RF capability. Ideal for safety and recovery as we all hunt independently.A few of the boys found out the hard way, that the Canadian 2W versions do not work too well in the bush, even over mediocre distances. We're considering getting the 5W US versions.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I bought mine last fall for hunting. These guys were the cheapest! Bought a Garmin Legend HCx. I bought my dad the HCx for XMas. I recommend the latter since you can plug in an SD card. Garmin and their software are Mac friendly.

Garmin, TomTom, Magellan & Lowrance GPS; Ram Mounts and Accessories. BlueFox Vehicle, Fleet, Personnel Tracking Service. Factory Authorized Dealer - GPS Central Canada
Hi Scott,

I can't find just a HCx. Do you mean the Vista HCx?

#7 · (Edited)
His link has the Rino 650 for $409 and RadioWorld in Vaughn has it for $470. Unless you need additional maps. But like I said...I want the 5 watt model and not the crippled Canadian version.:D

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I like the Rhino as well but I know from experience that none of our radios work well in forest. I might get 1/4-1/2 mile if I am real lucky out of my 22 Km rated radios where I hunt. You got me thinking about x border and 5watts.... that could be the ticket.

#11 ·
Hey Scott, how do you like that etrex? fairly simple to navigate the menus? Doyou find the toggle button a problem when being carried in a pocket as far as it being able to change menus or commands etc...

Thanks Guy.

#12 ·
I'm a big fan of Garmin's GPS and they're all I will buy for our field work. They work well and there's ton's of 3rd party software and accessories for them...much like iPods etc.

That said I haven't used my 60CSx since I got my iPhone. The iPhone is the single best Geocaching device money can buy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.