Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

RIP Jan Berenstain

687 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Chimpur 
#1 ·
If you have a young child, I bet you know who she is right off the bat. While their books were mostly fluff, they were enjoyable and would be requested for many rereads by thousands upon thousands of children.

"Jan Berenstain, who with her husband Stan created the Berenstain Bears books that have charmed preschoolers and their parents for 50 years, has died. She was 88.

Mike Berenstain says his mother suffered a severe stroke on Thursday and died Friday without regaining consciousness. She was a longtime resident of Solebury in southeastern Pennsylvania.

The Berestains' gentle stories of Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear and Sister Bear address childhood subjects like coping with new siblings, summer camp and peer pressure.

Stan and Jan Berenstain, both from Philadelphia, were 18 when they met on their first day at art school in 1941. Stan Berenstain died in 2005.

The first Berenstain Bears book, The Big Honey Hunt, was published in 1962. More than 300 titles have been released in 23 languages."

Berenstain Bears co-creator Jan Berenstain dies - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

See less See more
#5 ·
We read all the Berenstain Bear books with our daughter. (Although my husband, dyslexic as he is, refers to them as the 'Bernstein Bears'.) Gentle stories that usually had some sort of gentle lesson. A good legacy to leave.

#6 ·
Yes, I saved Stephen's old BB books ............ just in case.

#9 ·
I loved those books!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.