Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Domain name and web hosting

3K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  JCCanuck 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering who you use for name registration and hosting. I've been using the same two companies for years and one's prices are rising and the other doesn't seem to deliver stellar service or product.

Thanks!

#4 ·
GoDaddy and Hostgator...for my personal needs, totally painless. If I had a business, that might be a different story, but so far I must say I don't recall Hostgator ever been down in the years I've been with them. They did have a presence in Toronto which was the reason I originally went with them, but since have moved everything to TX. Never used the live chat, but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. I have the Baby Croc plan.

GoDaddy is huge so there will no doubt be many stories both positive and negative, but I find them acceptable considering I never deal with them except on renewals or changes.

Neither one has affected the budget I set out for this.

#6 ·
I'm with Lunarpages and have been with them for years. I've heard of both bad and good experiences. My experience has been positive so far.

I would never support GoDaddy with all the horrible press they've been getting. Their CEO hunting elephants for game in Africa and the support for SOPA is a turn off for many.

#8 ·
They backed down on SOPA, so I stayed. That is all. I'll leave the CEO's activities out of mrjimmy's thread.

#15 ·
Another happy Hostgator customer here. :) Also have a number of customers at Dinsol, who are very reasonable but I discovered not terribly good at support when it came to WordPress (which is what prompted me to move to Hostgator for my own site and one for a client). I will be trying again with Wordpress on another site with them, so we'll see how it goes. It may have been an anomaly - but after three days of no access to my own site, where I was running a test for a client, I'd had enough! (To be fair, that was the only issue I've ever had with them in several years of having sites there) I've also got clients at ASmallOrange.com - they don't offer unlimited bandwidth and storage like many others (which we all know isn't really "unlimited" because what they don't tell you is that CPU usage most definitely IS limited on shared hosting) but they do provide stellar support and for a small site, without a lot of storage requirements, they're great.

I moved all my domains to NameCheap when the SOPA thing came up. I have also dealt with Netfirms (clients' domains) and they've been good too. I still have some clients with GoDaddy, but they're not as cheap as they used to be, and their absolutely HORRIBLE renewal process, where you have to navigate an endless procession of pages attempting to upsell you on all sorts of add-ons that you don't need or want is a distinct turn-off.

#17 ·
I use 10Dollar.ca too, based on recommendations from EhMac on a similar thread I posted a little while ago. I am happy with them. By the way, I do not use any hosting service, mine is pure domain registration and nothing else.

After registering the domain I used Google Apps to set up my corporate email, again based on recommendations from some EhMacers in the same thread I started.

Cheers

#22 ·
I remember when q9 was bought by bell.. I was like oh well it was good while it lasted.

#25 ·
Web hosting 2013 update

Any suggestions for a web and domain hosting company this year 0f 2013? Of course I assume even the 2012 suggestions may be outdated but some will know reliable companies after a year for sure. I'm am well into learning web coding and would like to start off with my personal portfolio and eventually clients. I use to work with Rapidweaver and a long gone company for web hosting and domain name so I understand what to look for in web hosting etc.
Just saw one called, Canadian Web Hosting from HostPapa - Canada?s Best Website Hosting, anyone use that one?

#26 ·
I have used Host Papa for quite a few years.

Never had a problem, the pre-sales discussion I had before I signed up was very long, detailed and informative.
No sales pressure at that time - I actually only signed up the following day.

Had two calls to their tech support. Not because I had a hosting problem but because I wanted to do some domain forwarding that I wasn't sure how to do it.

Reason I signed with them in the first place:
1. At the time they were the only Canadian company in the top ten list I found somewhere on the net
2. Up time was very good and this was an important criteria for me
3. They used green energy
4. Their servers are located in Toronto, not the US.
5. Pricing was excellent, but that wasn't a main consideration (Numer 2 was)

I have no qualms recommending them.
I run a number of different websites and one sql database using a single account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.