Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What's Your Weird Or Offbeat Sandwich Favourite?

2K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
OK folks, it's time to divulge your secret sandwich favourite. We all have one and while some might seem unorthodox, they taste great just the same.

And no, I don't mean those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches your Mom used to make for school lunches.

This all started in my mind when I watched the noon hour news on CTV today where they always have a home economist on from Sobey's grocery stores. Today she made a sandwich that I just have to try.

She toasted two slices of buttered whole grain bread, then mixed apricot jam with a liberal dash of tabasco sauce and spread it on one slice. Then she piled fresh apple, thinly sliced on top of the apricot jam. On the other slice, she spread a thick layer of smooth peanut butter and slapped it all together. Now that sounds like my kind of sandwich.

A favourite I have always loved is also made with fresh whole grain bread, one slice spread with honey, then a layer of tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and peanut butter on the other slice is delicious, to me anyway.

Anyone else care to share their sandwich secrets that stray from the norm or traditional?

I can hardly wait to try some that I just know are favourites of ehMacers.

See less See more
#4 ·
Now that's what I was looking for! Sardines with onion are great, but I like just a touch of plain old yellow mustard. Can't argue with your second choice either.

Banana and mayo! BuTter two slices of about any kind of good bread. Mash a banana onto one slice of bread and spread on some good mayo. Cover with the other slice. Cut in quarters and enjoy.
Hmmmm, mayo eh? Gotta give that one a try too as I usually have it with peanut butter al la Elvis. Sounds good.

#3 ·
Banana and mayo! BuTter two slices of about any kind of good bread. Mash a banana onto one slice of bread and spread on some good mayo. Cover with the other slice. Cut in quarters and enjoy.

#19 ·
The mayo has to be Hellmans, rgray. I don't use butter, however.

#6 ·
Good choice. Love PB, cheese and rye.

Growing up, I had a friend who would always have a PB, onion, turkey, stuffing, jelly, and I think potato sandwich at Christmas time.

I like a good toasted spaghetti sandwich, but I don't think that's unusual, is it?

#7 ·
not sure if you think this is weird or offbeat - but in the summer I make toasted egg salad sandwiches with sliced tomatoes - doesn't taste as good in the winter the tomatoes don't have enough flavour

#8 ·
Tomato and (regular yellow) mustard. Add fresh ground pepper or Urfa Pepper to taste. That's it.

I was going to post a thread/rant about the bastardization of shawarma sandwiches. There is no local real Shawarma/ Falafel in my town, so whenever I am in the city- shawarma. I'm Canadian born and bred, I don't know the ins and outs of ethnic street food, but I know when my Shawarma is being 'Canadianized'. When I get Shawarma, I want authentic Shawarma. I don't really know what exactly should be in a Shawarma, so I rely on the guy behind the counter to just make it authentic. Lately, I find I'm having to monitor things a little too closely. Lately, they're trying to put mayo on my shawarma, and iceberg lettuce. Mayo! And at the end, when they ask me if I want the spices, or 'hot'- now I'm getting Franks Hot Sauce squeezed on top. ARRGGHH!! Franks?
I just want real authentic Shawarma. If I wanted fake shawarma or falafel, I'd go to one of the conglomerate Pita joints and get pineapple, sprouts, mushrooms, iceberg lettuce and Franks on my shawarma and falafel.

#9 ·
Interesting post fellfromtree.

I never had Shawarma until I moved to Ottawa, Now it's one of my favourite foods. Ottawa blogs, newspapers, foodie sites and citizens constantly debate the merits of each notable shop.

One of my fav places offers a sheep spinal cord affair on a pita deal with fixings.

Not brave enough to try it.

#13 ·
Pumpernickel with Miracle Whip and thick slices of swiss or gruyere cheese.

Whole wheat with lots of hummus and sliced tomato (when you can find some that do not taste like cardboard) and red onion.

Chopped fake crab or lobster mixed with mayo, chopped onion, and a bit of seafood sauce on a baguette or croissant. This will be supper tonight methinks. Num num. :love2:

Addendum - if you visit MTL try Cafe Santropol. Amazing sandwiches, pretty well all of them are unusual and offbeat.

#14 ·
My husband makes a grilled vegetable sandwich - usually a slice of zucchini, grilled, with a slice of cheese (provolone or whatever you have in the fridge) melted on top, with sautéed onions, tomato (not grilled), on a bread that is a little more hearty than usual (light rye works), and just a dab of hot mustard and mayonnaise. Mmm mmm good.

#18 ·
Haven't had one of these in ages ............ but I just made one after reading this post. Ah, fond memories of my youth .....................

#17 ·
My maternal British grandmother used to make us 'brown sugar' sandwiches as a treat or as comfort. Two slices of bread well buttered with a generous layer of brown sugar between. This dates from the post war rationing period.

#20 ·
I might try this with strawberry jam (since that is what we have in the house) and I like tabasco sauce and love peanut butter and apples.

#25 ·
Not exactly heart healthy but if you indulge once or twice a year you should make it without a coronary. :D

Take some dark rye (but not the really hard stuff) and toast. Take a clove or two of garlic and rub both sides. The toasted rye will act like sand paper. Top with goose, duck or chicken fat while warm, place cucumbers or tomatoes a pinch of salt/pepper on top and enjoy.

Next take beef, venison or moose marrow bones and roast them. If hunting in the bush use a deep cast iron pan or griddle to roast the bones and bread. Toast some bread, any bread except thin white bread.. when marrow is done put on toasted bread sprinkle with salt and enjoy as is.

#26 ·
Haven't seen this one yet - my sister had me try it once a long time ago. I doubted at first, however, it was fantastic.

Peanut butter and lettuce. Try it. Awesome combination of contrasting textures.

As for the brown sugar sandwich, I used to make my son toast with butter and brown sugar sprinkled with cinnamon.

#30 ·
I've just started playing with the idea of lettuce wraps recently, so I wonder about peanut butter ON lettuce? (Hummus on lettuce is pretty tasty.)

I used to be given brown sugar sandwiches too. Mmmm....

In school, I was teased about eating mustard and tomato sandwiches, or even mustard and dill pickle. What can I say, I like mustard. :)

I also like fried egg sandwiches with lots of cracked black pepper and raspberry jam.

#27 ·
Wow, does that take me back kps. We used to hardly be able to wait, when we killed a chicken to drain the fat off it while cooking and spread it on toast with salt, pepper and fresh cucumber and tomato slices from the garden. In winter we substituted the veggies with a mashed can of pork n' beans (or beans with pork as it became known in the early 60s).

Also brought back memories of being chased by the headless chicken, a scary thing for young kids, but older kids thought it was a blast.

And cinnamon toast too. I still make that as a bedtime snack when out camping chimo.

#31 ·
A couple I used to eat as a kid because of my mother's weird taste in food. Garlic dill pickle and peanut butter and fried liver sandwiches. I wouldn't touch liver anymore, but I think I've got to try the pickle and peanut butter again.

Adding potato chips to a sandwich. But they have to be nice thin and relatively flat ones, thick cut or ripple chips don't work. Or adding hot french fries to a sandwich containing cheese. Makes me drool like Homer Simpson.

#34 ·
Some of these favorite sandwich descriptions remind me of one I frequently enjoyed when I was a kid.

My Swedish grandmother would take freshly baked white bread, still warm, spread it with thick, cold and fresh, sour cream. Then it was topped with a generous sprinkling of sugar. Yum.

Another unusual combo I discovered as an adult: Peanut butter and sliced pitted dates rolled in a pita or other flat bread. Makes a compact and easy to carry snack.

OK, now I am hungry as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.