Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

"Godspeed, John Glenn" -- happy anniversary

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 · (Edited)
A few days early, but still worth noting.

On February 20, 1962, Glenn made his famous journey around the planet aboard NASA's Friendship 7 spacecraft. On that day, he blasted off to the famous words, "Godspeed John Glenn," becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. During the nearly five-hour mission, he circled the globe three times.

I was a teenager back then, and from that moment onwards, wanted to be an astronaut.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

#3 ·
Very true, O-man. From Kitty Hawk to The Sea of Tranquility in the time frame spanning December, 1903 to July, 1969. Amazing.

Paix, mon ami.

#4 ·
pretty amazing video to watch,
the CGI they had back then was funny to watch now. ;)
Kinda feels like we made a full circle.. back to square one, where the US/ NASA is rocketless and looking to get back in space [possible the moon] again..

#5 ·
Yes, it would seem that the next person to set foot on the moon will be from China. We shall see.

#7 ·
Well, I recall the push in the early 1960s to get us into math and science. I was good in science but only OK in math, so a path towards engineering was not really in the cards for me. I feel that this push was caused by the perceived threat, whether real or not, that if the Russians could put Sputnik into orbit in 1957, and then a man around the earth and bring him back safely, then they could place a missle with a nuclear warhead right on top of the Empire State Building or the White House.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.