Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Science Saved My Soul

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  SuzyRhode301 
#1 ·
Atheism, science and religion nicely tied up in a bundle that makes both you and the universe more real. Worth every minute of the 14 or so to view. This should be mandatory viewing for every public school classroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk

#4 ·
:yawn:

The picture he paints of "religion" as being a definition of someone who practices a faith is like painting a picture of a pedophile as being a definition of someone who practices sex.

A narcissistic english man spouting his personal distorted view of "religion", dropping f-bombs and ripping off a good Arcade Fire song should be mandatory viewing for school kids? :rolleyes:

I wish I could have the 14 minutes or so back.

Every drop of scientific discovery is amazing to me, and the footage was awesome without his commentary and opinions narrating. It's not necessary to throw out the concept of a soul and a divine creator to "open your eyes" to see the amazement of the universe or to make both us and the universe seem "more real".

#5 ·
:yawn:

The picture he paints of "religion" as being a definition of someone who practices a faith is like painting a picture of a pedophile as being a definition of someone who practices sex.

A narcissistic english man spouting his personal distorted view of "religion", dropping f-bombs and ripping off a good Arcade Fire song should be mandatory viewing for school kids? :rolleyes:

I wish I could have the 14 minutes or so back.

Every drop of scientific discovery is amazing to me, and the footage was awesome without his commentary and opinions narrating. It's not necessary to throw out the concept of a soul and a divine creator to "open your eyes" to see the amazement of the universe or to make both us and the universe seem "more real".
:clap:

I'll take my 14 mins back thank you. That will be $42 please.

#6 ·
Very interesting and informative, Sinc. Worth the time invested in listening and watching ..................... and thinking about the basic premise he was attempting to share. Merci, mon ami. Paix.

#7 ·
There were some great clips in there --I'm a sucker for space. As for the rest... there were some pretty big logical leaps. I'm still trying to figure out how he got from galaxies to religion. He spent an awful lot of time pointing out the complexities of the universe just to deliver the message "science good, religion bad".

#10 ·
Amazing footage, but a very flawed message philosophically. Lapses in thinking so large I could drive a galaxy through them.

It's as if though he wants to create a religious experience on YouTube.

#12 ·
Science has been in my life from as long as I can remember. I studied, and then worked in the natural sciences. I have always much-appreciated anything natural, and in nature. But I've never related my love and appreciation of such to any concept of a 'soul'.

#13 · (Edited)
"Science isn't a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money." - Leon Lederman

While the narrator of the clip uses some poetic language, and clearly is trying to articulate the passion scientists have for understanding the mystery of the universe, the point of the clip is that science is the opposite of religion. But scientists and people who hold a naturalistic world view are by no means unable to appreciate the beauty and mystery of nature, nor are they prevented some how from achieving the some of the philosophical objectives religions have claimed are theirs alone to yield.

Indeed, what the last century has really demonstrated is how religions have been holding us back philosophically; by preventing us from questioning, by constraining our thought into the straight-jacket of scriptures and ancient "teachings", and by exhorting us to have faith in traditions. It's not until we shake off the superstitions of our ancestors that we can start finding out for ourselves what our place in the universe really is, and how to deal with the real problems and real possibilities that face us.

#15 ·
I watched it but I came to terms with the dichotomies it discusses in my mid and late teens... pretty high school stuff.... maybe that is the audience it was made for.

One thing though, when they were showing photos of great scientific minds they made a glaring exception by not showing Stephen Hawking. Carl Sagan to the exclusion of showing Stephen Hawking... I mean c'mon?! That's like showing a photo of David Suzuki over Sir Frederick Grant Banting...

#16 ·
I watched it but I came to terms with the dichotomies it discusses in my mid and late teens... pretty high school stuff.... maybe that is the audience it was made for.

Won't run on my ancient set-up but given the earlier comments on foul language, the high school target seems like a good guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.