Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

On Vacation...

4K views 87 replies 15 participants last post by  MLeh 
#1 ·
Anyone else been/going away?

We were in Puerto Escondido Mexico for 10 days visiting a friend who lives there ... no internet, no e-mails, no TV, no movies, etc... just livin' life and loving it...

Just checking my e-mails and what's been going on here at ehMac and I am already ready to disconnect again... so much snipping and pettiness...

A little time away/disconnected provides a lot of perspective on what is really important... soon enough I am sure this perspective will wear off...

#2 ·
Just got back from a very relaxing 10 day cruise in the Caribbean. Checked my emails once a morning, but otherwise was pretty much disconnected. Really enjoyed it. Ready to go back.

#15 ·
...but...perhaps...that little something you picked up while away...maybe...if you have the time. :eek:

#13 ·
In the past 10 years I've been to India twice, Mexico three times, Jamaica, Greece, spent several months playing in Utah, several months hanging out at the cottage in Ontario, Aspen Colorado, Oregon, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Vancouver a few weekends in Austin Texas. Just checked in for my flight for a weekend in Fort Worth Texas. I do love my vacation time but then I only work to fill time and keep some sanity.

#17 ·
The more I see of society today and all the s**t that's going on, the better I like my backyard.
I have absolutely no desire to travel anymore.

#27 ·
Well, I didn't expect I was going to be paying myself. Of course I'm working for other people. But I'd rather be working long hours and knowing the benefits will all accrue to me instead of to a company of which I'm an employee.

#32 ·
As you indicate in some situations of course you can be/are both.

If you are a property manager you work for the property owner if you are a landlord you do work in essence for the tenants as you have certain basic obligations that you must fulfill to the tenants. No tenants no income, so you are in fact being paid by someone else for the commodity you provide so I can't agree with your semantics.

#38 ·
I see the tenants as individual clients who come and go. The landlord/owner of such a building would be self-employed, with a range of clients who pay for the management service provided. The landlord/owner works all costs into this management fee and calls it rent.

#48 ·
I'm sorry, but I have been self employed entirely for over 25 years, and I do NOT work for someone.

I currently have over 80 clients, and rising. By your definition, Apple works for me.
Uhhmm....

self-employed is often an illusion.
well, you're still really, working for someone....
So which way is it...

You are indeed lost in your own semantics... read the Act it may help you sort things out. ;) Cause right now you make zero sense...

By your definition, Apple works for me.
:yikes:

I really could say a lot about this part of your post but I am still on vacation so I will bite my tongue...

Anyone else been/going on vacation...

#49 ·
Yes, I said it often is... an illusion. It can feel that way, when you're stuck in a project that requires you to work long hours to produce, but that's business. But that doesn't mean it's actually the case.

But I don't work for someone's company, and receive a paycheque from their company, and a T4 at the end of the year (their payroll). I define what my business is, what my products and services are, what the prices are, and what my terms of business are. I can also, set what my hours are, and how often I work. It's -my- choice. I may not see it as much of a choice given my obligations to pay my mortgage and keep me in food, and things I want to buy. But it still is, my choice. I can sell my business (actually there is a possibility this may actually occur soon), because, I own my business.

I cannot do any of this, if I "work for someone". A huge massive difference.

I work for myself, and draw a salary from my company (inc) which I own. I'm not sure what the confusion is here.

#53 ·
Yes, I said it often is... an illusion. It can feel that way, when you're stuck in a project that requires you to work long hours to produce, but that's business. But that doesn't mean it's actually the case.

But I don't work for someone's company, and receive a paycheque from their company, and a T4 at the end of the year (their payroll). I define what my business is, what my products and services are, what the prices are, and what my terms of business are. I can also, set what my hours are, and how often I work. It's -my- choice. I may not see it as much of a choice given my obligations to pay my mortgage and keep me in food, and things I want to buy. But it still is, my choice. I can sell my business (actually there is a possibility this may actually occur soon), because, I own my business.

I cannot do any of this, if I "work for someone". A huge massive difference.

I work for myself, and draw a salary from my company (inc) which I own. I'm not sure what the confusion is here.
Agreed it is and one that you previously negated.

well, you're still really, working for someone.
So you want it both ways in your various posts... seems you lose track in your argumentation but your inconsistencies are easily revealed because they are in black and white for all to see.

Carry on, but please in another thread... as this has nothing to do with this thread...

Anyone here been/going on vacation...?

#74 ·
Flying in on a deal and renting a cheap apartment--I've been spending too much money making it a darn pretty slum. ;)

We thought about Rome, but I figured I'd want to see a lot more of Italy than we can squeeze into a week, so that might have to wait. Since I'm starting school soon, it doesn't look like I'll be talking a lot of lengthy trips for a while.

Paris is just a bit chilly this time of year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.