Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Family Day 2012

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  macintosh doctor 
#1 ·
I was wondering what people across Canada are doing for Family Day..
I know not every province celebrates it.. [ I for one am not a fan, taking another day off in already shortened month to spend money in the name of Family Day ]
I do that every weekend.. :(

who is willing to share their thoughts and plans..of the forced spend money holiday by our trusted Government.. ;)

#2 ·
While most have Family Day off, my spouse and I don't, so we will be working and trying to find daycare (hopefully before "Family Day").

#6 ·
Looks like it is for about half of the country.

← Canada Travel Home | Stat Holidays 2012 | March Break

Family Day is the third Monday of February and observed as a public (or statutory) holiday in the three Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario. (Manitoba celebrates Louis Riel Day and it's Islander Day in Prince Edward Island.)

In 2012, Family Day falls on Monday, February 20.

Most workers, public or private, are entitled to take statutory holidays off with regular pay. Some businesses remain open on holidays, such as medical clinics and some stores, restaurants, and tourist attractions.

Family Day 2012 - Family Day 2012 Holiday

EDIT I noted that the website had an ad for a strip club accompanying a blurb about family day. Go figure.

#9 ·
I love family day. My wife has to work since she is with the federal government, & my kids daycare is open since it is in Quebec (who doesn't have family day), but I work in Ontario and get the stat holiday all to myself. Will try to force myself to keep the kids home, even though I still have to fork out the massive $14 for subsidized daycare.

I would be for standardizing stat holidays accross the country. Granted I don't think people in Alberta want to have St. Jean Baptist day off...

Sent from my iPhone

#10 ·
I lost a float holiday thanks to Dalt's forced holiday...the effff'n wiener. I now get a long weekend in February instead of when I want it. Thanks Dalt the Dud...

#11 ·
As a self-employed person, statutory holidays are really just another day. If I've got work to do, I'll work. If I don't, I won't. (I probably will, seeing as I have to be in Saskatoon on Tuesday, but thanks for pointing out Monday is Getty Day in Alberta, so I won't try to do anything on the way through there on Monday.)

#12 ·
As a self-employed person, statutory holidays are really just another day. If I've got work to do, I'll work.
Being an academic, I'm in the same boat, regardless of the fact that I'm salaried. I work far more than 40 hours per week (closer to 80 this semester), because my teaching is a full time job, and I need to do research and administrative work on top of that. When I'm in the lab working on weekends or late at night, I notice that most of my colleagues are doing the same thing. We all got used to working 70-80 hours per week as graduate students, and have continued to do so as faculty. Unfortunately, this has resulted in elevated expectations, so now it's difficult to cut back to a mere 60 hour week. :(

#14 ·
My wife, who is from Calgary, explained to me how the phrase "Getty Day" came about ............ and I was shocked. Still, it is better than "Dysfunctional Family Day".

#18 ·
I dunno. I might end up going to see my uncle. Or maybe just randomly drive around places.... I don't know yet. All depends how I feel.

#19 ·
wonder if we can have a referendum to cancel it? I think it is an unnecessary day off in a shorten month.. Province keeps saying they are SMB friendly.. so why shove this down our throats? [ then only allow half the of the province to enjoy it? - certain government employees still work ] dumbest attempt at a holiday.

#21 ·
I made a cartoon in honor of this day....

oh I will be working..
wife will tell me how much of an a$$ i am and to do this, drive there, get that.. don't be cheap.. put down the iPhone..
i might of left out a few..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.