Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Whitney Houston Death: Apple Accused Of Cashing In With LP Price Boost

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  macintosh doctor 
#1 ·
This is just too much for Apple . . .

Apple has been accused of exploiting the death of Whitney Houston by increasing the price of her albums on iTunes.

Fans of the late singer, who was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday (February 11) at the age of 48, spoke out after discovering that the cost of her back catalog had been put up since her passing.

Houston's 2007 Ultimate Collection increased by £3 to £7.99 in the space of just 30 minutes, with iTunes users reporting that they were prevented from downloading the LP at its original advertised price while the update occurred.

Some accused Apple of "cashing in" on the tragedy, while others said that the company should be "ashamed" of their "shameless exploitation".

One customer, who claimed to have spent two hours trying to purchase the Ultimate Collection at its original price, added: "To say I am angry is an understatement and I feel it is just a case of iTunes cashing in on the singer's death, which in my opinion is totally parasitic.
Whitney Houston death: Apple accused of cashing in with LP price boost - Music News - Digital Spy

#2 ·
But wouldn't Whitney Houston's label and estate also make more money from the increased price? Isn't the most tangible expression of an artist's work to buy their stuff, thereby making them wealthier?

#5 ·
One of the general principles of economics deals with the relationship of supply and demand. Given the opportunity of Ms. Houston's passing, her ability to produce new material now severely handicapped (diminished supply) and knowing that there is always increased interest (demand) following a death you might as well raise your prices and make more profit. Mind you I guarantee that Ms. Houston's work will proliferate on file sharing sites where you obviously pay nothing.

I just hope this doesn't revive a surge in syrupy background music a la David Foster's horrendous production values but that people might concentrate on what was a very powerful voice.

Good on Apple for taking advantage of an opportunity. Take those profits and continue to invest in R&D and devise more outstanding products.

#8 ·
From the above link:
One insider close to the situation said the price hike was not a "cynical" move – but that the wholesale price of Houston's The Ultimate Collection was wrong. The change in wholesale price boosted the album's retail price on iTunes.
I'll bet.

#9 ·
I guarantee the move wasn't dictated by apple. Apple only receives a percentage, to the gain by apple wouldn't have been that great. Nonetheless, this practice has always gone on. I worked at Sams when John Lennon died and his prices all went up the next day as well.

#12 ·
Pretty misguided to "blame" Apple for this. The record company sets the pricing.

It seems that people are attacking Apple more and more each day, and a lot of the attacks are about things that are out of Apple's hands, or that they are really not to blame for.

This is what happens when you become as big and successful as Apple has - easy to blame, and more open to lawsuits and other bs.

#13 ·
+1
Why people blame Apple is mind blowing.. Record Labels set prices..
Too bad people are so stupid when it comes to economics and how things work.
stop blaming the retailer for everything..
Also stop blaming Apple for the conditions in China.. if you hate the workers' problems stop buying 'made in China' which includes Walmart. [ demand your products be locally produced - be prepared for massive price increase, simple math.]

#16 ·
You're right - if the labels had their way, the prices would be even higher. Steve Jobs had to convince them that 99cents was the right price point. Later, they relented and allowed $1.29 tracks and differently-priced albums, but make no mistake: Apple doesn't dictate the price except to suggest it be as low as possible.

#18 ·
Actually albums are priced all over the place - Apple does not tell the labels what to price their albums at, except they obviously suggest $9.99 and most albums are around that price.

Your post doesn't make sense in this context. Apple likes low prices - they were most likely not behind the Whitney Houston price increase. A label can sell an album for $4.99 or $7.99 or $9.99. They choose and they tell Apple and Apple sells it for that price.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Forbes has a list called richest dead celebs. Which keep making money.
Last years list
1-MJ 170 Million
2- Elvis half of of MJ
It's surprising who is on the list, they say it is a growing trend ( not sure what they meant by that)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.