Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Happy Groundhog Day

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
Happy Groundhog day ............ albeit it a bit early.

Sadly, our groundhog here in St.John's, St.John's Johnny, the official groundhog that sees the first rays of sunshine (or not) in North America, was tragically killed today. Seems a snow plow ran over the hut which was constructed directly over his burrow. In retaliation, Mother Nature (along with Environment Canada) is going to hit us with 50-75cm of snow from tonight and into Sunday morning. :eek:XX):(:-(

#3 ·
Not for us. With all of our snow, we won't see grass until May. :-(

#4 ·
Time to get Groundhog Day (the movie) ready for the annual viewing. One of my favourites.

It would be perfect for a day when you're stuck inside due to a snow storm.

#5 ·
True. Love that movie. Paix, mon ami.

#8 ·
Happy pre-birthday, Lars.

#15 ·
A classic scene, Doug. I liked the part where he is trying to teach the groundhog to drive ............... just before they plunge over the cliff.

#14 ·
More winter here as well. We only received about 125cm of snow in January, more than half of what we normally get. Of course, with today's snow and the big storm on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, we might be over that amount by this time next week. We shall see.

#17 ·
My condolences to Johnny's family.:lmao:
In my 35 years here in St.John's, this is St.John's Johnny #13. 11 died of natural causes, and when we received 21 feet of snow in 2001 and 19 feet of snow in 2003, when being told to expect an early spring, both of those groundhogs were thrown into the Atlantic Ocean. XX)

Actually, today's nearly 25cm of snow is more than the 17cm of snow we got back on Feb.2nd, 2000.

#18 ·
Punxsutawney Phil is of course the only official prognosticator and has called for six more weeks of winter. Around here sunlight broke through a tiny hole in an other wise overcast sky meaning we are in for an early spring followed by six more weeks of winter??????

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.