Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Know where your food comes from. Pink slime in hamburger meat.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  javaqueen 
#1 ·
Watch the video in it as well as read the article.

U.S. News - McDonald's drops use of gooey ammonia-based 'pink slime' in hamburger meat

Do you think they would have stopped using it if it wasn't made public?

This is why long ago I stopped eating hotdogs. I actually cannot remember when the last time I ate one. If you know what I know what goes into a hotdog you wouldn't eat it. And oh those new 'All Natural' hotdogs and processed meats you see, not good for you either.

Makes me puke.

#3 ·
This is why long ago I stopped eating hotdogs. I actually cannot remember when the last time I ate one. If you know what I know what goes into a hotdog you wouldn't eat it. And oh those new 'All Natural' hotdogs and processed meats you see, not good for you either.

Makes me puke.
I worked in an abattoir plant when in high school hauling the gut wagon to the dump after school so I know pretty much what 'should' go into wieners (and sausage too). Buying them from a local butcher who makes them on site, makes a huge difference rather than picking them up pre-packed at the grocery store. I still love 'em to this day. ;)

#4 ·
We do the same here, Sinc... a great local butcher handles 90% of our meat needs. But occasionally I still have a jonesing for a nasty old street hotdog... we'll give in to it once in a while and seek out our favourite vendors. Italian sausage with Dijon and some colourful hot peppers... yum!

Saw that pink slime video though, last week. Pretty gruesome stuff. I believe Mickey D wouldn't have made their announcement had it not gone viral.

#5 ·
Well there's another example of the free market at work. If only they could label Jamie Oliver an "eco terrorist" eh?

I gave up on processed meats a long time ago, in fact I rarely eat red meat anymore in general. But like you Max, I do give in, something about some ales, friends, a nice night out, hungry, and then those damned sausage vendors and their wafting smells.

#6 ·
Well there's another example of the free market at work. If only they could label Jamie Oliver an "eco terrorist" eh?

I gave up on processed meats a long time ago, in fact I rarely eat red meat anymore in general. But like you Max, I do give in, something about some ales, friends, a nice night out, hungry, and then those damned sausage vendors and their wafting smells.
Uh no this is about a particular practice by a particular company...

Jamie Oliver??? He is one of the biggest free marketers out there and benefits in the millions from a free market. All he does is try and encourage people to eat better and not eat crap and to get crap out of food, in no way does it make him not a free marketer.

#10 ·
Where your meat comes from and how it's processed should be everyone's concern. I'm lucky enough to be on a first name basis with the people who raise my meat and grow my veg. I'm also a believer in the nose to tail concept so I eat just about every part of the animal, including the stuff that many would find undesirable.

The issue shouldn't be about what cuts make it into the food you eat as you don't really want to waste anything, it should be more about how the animal is raised, butchered, and processed.

I think I know what you're getting at though. I wouldn't touch your bog standard Oscar Meyer wiener with a 10 foot pole.

#11 ·
I stopped eating processed food - not just processed meats - a long time ago because of issues with MSG and Sodium Phosphate........I agree with you johnnyspade that it is much more important to know how the animal is raised, butchered and processed. I have a fantastic butcher that I get my meat from and I can say that it definitely tastes much better than what you can get at the grocery store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.